Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Spectacular 1981 20 Cent "Sickle Cud" Error

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 558Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Australia
205 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  10:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What do you reckon - "sickle", "scythe", "hook". It's definitely more savage than a " Candy Cane".

Guess it would be classified as a "series of die chips"

Bedrock of the Community
United States
42001 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  04:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can we see the other side?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7345 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  04:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Guess it would be classified as a "series of die chips"

I agree. A Cud forms on the rim edge of the coin when a portion of the die breaks off.

Quite interesting shape you have here.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
979 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  06:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What do you reckon - "sickle", "scythe", "hook". It's definitely more savage than a " Candy Cane".

That's definitely some mean looking cuds you've got there ... I'd call them an 'oesophagus'!
Valued Member
Australia
205 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  06:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can we see the other side?

Just your normal 1981 reverse with full 4 claws. Can't really tell if it was minted in Canberra or Wales.

Certainly no depression or impression on the reverse that would account for the metal sticking out on the obverse if that's what you are looking for.

Australia
17 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OzLeigh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Watch out Lizzie, the Reaper is coming for you!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12064 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  09:37 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, though I'm not convinced those are die chips and not damage.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Edited by spruett001
10/28/2021 09:39 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62971 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a monster, congrats!
Valued Member
Australia
401 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add karloning to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a Canberra coin
Pillar of the Community
Australia
788 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2021  02:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nealeffendi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PMD most likely. Die damage that severe is very unlikely (plus other examples should have been found by now).
Valued Member
Australia
401 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2021  04:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some better pics would be good.
But I'd agree with Neal.
PMD.
A man who tells lies merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it.
Learn More...
Canada
9958 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2021  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Damaged coin. You can see where something made impact on the Queen's neck and pushed up (deformed) the metal into that raised, irregular ridge. It then was circulated some more where the metal on the raised ridge has been smoothed out a bit.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Australia
704 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2021  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
PMD most likely.

Yes,its probably 80-90% PMD.
In the early days of Ebay in Australia there were several 'shed jobs' similar to the above Coin,they melted down a similar coin and added drips to the target coin.
Some were very Pro. done and very hard to pick without high grade Pics or Scans.
So as mentioned earlier better Pics. needed.
Valued Member
Australia
205 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2021  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
something made impact on the Queen's neck and pushed up (deformed) the metal into that raised, irregular ridge

Extra metal is sitting on the surface. Definitely not created by gouging. That dark area is just a shadow.

Quote:
they melted down a similar coin and added drips to the target coin

More plausible. Thought about the possibility of it being some kind of solder but didn't think it likely because the extra metal looks to be exactly the same colour and consistency as the rest of the coin. Looks like cupro-nickel and not tin/lead.

Just how easy is it to melt a coin and drip molten metal?

Seems like a heck of a lot of effort would have gone into creating this monstrosity just for it to end up back in circulation. Surely some sucker would have forked out some hard-earned mula if the coin was offered on ebay.
Edited by MachinMachinMan
11/02/2021 12:20 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
704 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  06:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just how easy is it to melt a coin and drip molten metal?

Apparently very easy to do but I haven't seen them since the 1990's,early 2000.
Its not solder,the metal from the donor coin is the same as the target coin.
The fake 1934 3d overdate trails was some kind of silver used by Dental Technicians but again may have been metal from a genuine 3d.
Its not a subject most dealers would talk about other than point me to the scrap bin.
Valued Member
Australia
205 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  07:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Some better pics would be good.

Quality of these aren't any better. From different angles though.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 558Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: