Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Market For 1959 To 1982 Circulated Pennies

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 462Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
16 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  10:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add we66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is there a market for 1959 to 1982 circulated pennies?
I have about57 pounds of them. A little over 8000. 20 pounds were stored for 30 years and 37 were stored for 50 years. lots of black spots and normal to light wear.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7584 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a market? Yes, our pages here are a testament as to this fact. Where and how you find buyers is beyond me. After you have a number of posts here on CCF, you can try to sell or trade them, but the majority of people here get their coins from banks at face value, just FYI.

to the CCF!
ça va bien aller

United States
16 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  01:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add we66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reply. Have any significant number pennies from the banks been in storage for 50 years?
Pillar of the Community
United States
7584 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  01:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Banks don't care about dates on cents. To them, a cent is a cent, period.
ça va bien aller

Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  02:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Have any significant number pennies from the banks been in storage for 50 years?

I highly doubt it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4999 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  02:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Bumpkin...now now lets play nice...

@ we66 let me you to CCF

would help, but pending on how they were stored does not sound promising. When you speak about "black spots"...
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  02:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Greasy, I didn't mean anything disrespectful at all. I was just giving an honest answer to the question
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19265 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  02:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should be able to make up several date/mm sets, and be able to sell them on, via eBay.
However, not a great return in dollars per hour, if you want to factor in your own time.
If you have some kids, let them do the work, and pocket the proceeds. Young eyes are very sharp, if they know what to look for.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9623 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  04:07 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could post something on one of the elongated coin collecting forums. Pre-1982 copper cents are much better to 'squash' than post-1982 zinc ones, and a keen elongated collector may be prepared to pay a premium over face value to get a quantity of copper cents.
Edited by NumisRob
10/28/2021 05:49 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4321 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  05:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check eBay sales. In those quantities they are essentially sold as copper bullion and you might get 2-3 times face value.
Learn More...
United States
35850 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  07:10 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shipping 57 pounds of cents will cost you (and buyer) more than the value of the cents.
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  07:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add we66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies. What is an "elongated coin" ?
This group has several terms that us newbys to the group don't know
Pillar of the Community
United States
5953 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's always a chance that some of the cents are notable die varieties--like the '69 S, the '72. etc., etc. There are many collectors who lust after them. For fun, check verity vista (a sampling follows):
http://www.varietyvista.com/01b%20L...0listing.htm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16211 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So you have about 57 pounds of 95% copper ,( some 82's could be zinc ) . I recommend not bothering to sell them ; Just keep holding and hope they legally allow copper pennies to be melted , then take them to a smelter . $$

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62973 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No question the biggest issue is the shipping cost.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1238 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The best shipping option for bulk coins are the USPS flat rate boxes. Get a few in various sizes to learn and how many cents you can reasonably pack inside.

Are your cents stored in bank wrappers? If the wrappers are decades old and from banks that no longer exist, you might get additional interest from people who collect those.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 462Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: