Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1887-S Morgan Grade Check

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 307Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3100 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  06:07 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
opinions needed

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19252 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  06:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-62
Pillar of the Community
United States
3100 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was difficult to see the minute details of the surface on the initial shot so here are a couple of cheek surface close-ups.

What would be the probability that the TPG states that these marks make this coin a BU or 58 max as a result of a cleaning/whizzing/altered patina etc?

Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  08:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-61 Details
Pillar of the Community
United States
1029 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am going to say AU-58 details from what I see, lots of hairlines it looks like though full coin photos would help. Also looks like its seen a little circulation
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62719 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU-58 "slider" unc.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3246 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU58 It has the look of a coin that was dipped and did not remove all the black tarnish.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3261 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll side with the AU58 crowd, possibly details. Reverse spotting detracts for me.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10862 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
there appear to be some hairlines in front of the profile on the field as well as some other areas on both the obv and rev. the coin would either come in at AU58 or MS61 and may not grade straight
Pillar of the Community
United States
2679 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22900 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2021  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice AU-58 slider.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4416 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2021  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A rare grade but this one is I think the classic example of an MS-60. Clearly uncirculated but had a rough life in the bag.
Pillar of the Community
United States
627 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2021  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first thought was MS-60. You don't see 60's often.

Possible hairlines in front of Miss Liberty's face. If that is correct, then that would make this coin a details coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5665 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a bit of luster loss and surface disruption in the fields. The curved/dark mark by stars 2 and 3 is distracting. Surfaces look very baggy and the black spots are another negative. Might technically qualify as AU-58 but eye appeal is pretty low.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4075 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU 58 as well .
Surprisingly, we see a lot of this particular
date in the NW.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 307Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: