Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1794 50c Flowing Hair Half Dollar Overton 101A

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 533Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
8437 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  11:38 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thoughts? Thanks!

Ron Guth: 1794 was the first year for of the Half Dollar denomination (for some reason, no pattern Half Dollars were made in 1792 even though the Half Dollar was a part of the official, coinage scheme). The mintage reported for this inaugural year was only 23,464 pieces, which was less than a tenth of the following year. Because this was a high-denomination coin, few "man-on-the-street" types ever saw this coin, assuming they even knew it existed. Thus, very few ended being preserved for future generations.

There are 11 different varieties for the year. The first 7 aren't too difficult to find but the last 4 are either R7 or R8 and nearly impossible to locate. Rumor is that a large hoard of app. 200 exists on the West Coast.

This one under a strong light.

Edited by numismatic student
10/28/2021 11:55 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
670 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  11:47 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! And no adjustment marks either! I find the color a bit unusual.
Edited by jacrispies
10/28/2021 11:57 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2679 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks great. I Can't grade this one well though.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10888 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the sharpness of the date, lettering, beading and leaves suggest an XF coin. weak strike (typical) on both sides. I cant see it less than VF35 and XF40 would not surprise me. does it grade straight? I dont care as its a cool coin but imo yes
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62848 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at VF-35 as well, Certainly a wonderful coin, though I find the coloring something of a distraction.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8437 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@panzaldi yes the coin was graded straight by NGC but as always I am here to hear your opinion about the grade. Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4999 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Totally out of my realm of knowledge, I was thinking 15 to 20 but now reading the comments.....you got me...
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
United States
670 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  02:21 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't studied the grades on this type, but I'll go with a VF-30.
Valued Member
United States
301 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF(20)?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3251 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am at VF30 plus or minus a grade. Hard to see the fine details from these photos.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8437 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Everyone seems clustered in the same neighborhood. Purchased it from Gerry Fortin who wrote this description:
First Year Issue, Late Die State, Choice Original Surfaces, Natural Gun Metal Gray-Blue Patina, Accurately Graded, Osprey Collection. First year of issue and Philadelphia mint half dollar production. Only 23,464 half dollars dated 1794 were struck. This example offered original surfaces that are covered with uniform gun metal gray-blue patina with gold highlights on the reverse. Struck from late die state dies and listed as Tompkins Die State 1/5. The die crack near S(TATES) creates shelf metal, and another crack joins (STATE)S to the leaf tip. Under a light source, the bluish gray patina transition to glowing gold and is most pleasing. The date, legends, and other peripheral design elements are strongly rendered, taking into account a normal amount of wear for the grade. Partial curl detail is visible on the obverse while the reverse eagle is moderately stronger with good wing feather definition. A ancient vertical line extends from the eagle's head to the berries below the A. Faint mint-made adjustment marks are noted on the obverse. Accurately graded and freshly reholdered. An important new GFRC offering from the Osprey Collection.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62848 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on a fine addition to your collection!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8437 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Coinfrog and to all who contributed your thoughts.
Edited by numismatic student
10/30/2021 1:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
968 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow amazing they have even survived and an original non detailed at that! nice coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4999 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After reading the write up I feel this coin should be viewed in hand...My address is.......

NS building a mega collection....
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10888 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2021  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i think its undergraded but maybe thats why I dont work for a TPG. the high points on this coin are way better than a VF25 coin. my only thought is that they didnt like the eye appeal
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 533Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: