Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1945 LWC DDO Class 6 Help Needed

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 194Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3120 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  1:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all, I'm trying to identify this 1945 DDO, however it's giving me trouble. An issue with this year is that there are a lot of doubled dies that look nearly the exact same, with little to no die markers, so I'm having a difficult time figuring this one out.

What do y'all think?

"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
Progress can only be achieved through trial and error. Failure is the greatest teacher.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41961 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not seeing a doubled die at all, circulation flattening?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3120 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While it is minor, there is spread on the 9 of the tail.

It's quite similar to the 1945 DDO-002, DDO-006, and DDO-011. It's a light spread.

(I did not find this myself, was given to me by Bats).

EDIT: I'll be honest, if this wasn't actually given to me and labeled a Class 6 DDO before it reached my hands, I might've passed it by.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
Progress can only be achieved through trial and error. Failure is the greatest teacher.
Edited by SilverCents
10/28/2021 1:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
986 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe check out VV's 004 http://www.varietyvista.com/01a%20L...5PDDO004.htm. Only two of the listings have the clash at the throat and the other is a doubled eyelid.

Sorry, there are two with the clash that could have your doubling. Check 009 too. http://www.varietyvista.com/01a%20L...5PDDO009.htm

The clash looks more like yours on this one.
-makecents-
Edited by -makecents-
10/28/2021 2:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3120 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, brilliant makecents, seriously, I'm not sure how I missed that.

Alright this is quite tricky, as I can't get a good lighting source to bring out that clash. However, by simply comparing the 9, I believe I've narrowed it down. On the 004, notice how the tail remains consistent with the rest of the thickness of the 9. In the 009 however, the bottom right of the tail becomes slightly thicker. That is the same effect the 9 in my coin has as well.

So based on the detail you provided and comparing the rest of the devices, I believe this coin to be DDO-009.

Again, thank you MC, not sure if I could've caught that without you. (I wasn't being the brightest, as I should've checked every listing on VV, even if it didn't look right at the start).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
986 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The clash can be seen in your pic of the date. Sometimes you have to look for your own markers too. Look closely at the pics provided by the attributors, there are almost always die gouges and scratches that are not called out, that may match some on your example. I looked but could not find any but you may be able to, with the coin in hand.
-makecents-
Edited by -makecents-
10/28/2021 2:50 pm
Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Looks like circulation flattening, too even around the 9. The coin is too worn to prove anything unless you have other markers.

A clash doesn't mean much on its own, plenty of clashes in the 40's.

LIBERTY doesn't look to have doubling attributes.

Good luck with it
Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves -- Witch Hunt
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 194Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: