Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Show Pointers & Tips

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 454Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
354 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  02:17 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am attending a coin show this weekend.

Would it be bad form to walk around and compare the prices with my greysheet in hand? Any tips and pointers on coin shows in general is much appreciated folks.

Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4374 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would try to be as inconspicuous as possible when checking the prices. Maybe try to put it on your smart phone so it it not so obvious, or move away from the table to check.

I'm sure that others will have much more to say, but be polite and respectful, even if the prices are too high. Don't ask for excessive discounts even if the prices are too high. Just walk away. New customers will be treated differently inn terms of pricing than regular ones.

If you generally think that the show has a lot of dealers with material you like, go back regularly and establish a relationship with the dealers you like. It really matters.
Valued Member
United States
315 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A few years ago I got back into visiting local coin shows. I found several dealers pulled out their greysheet copy as they didn't have a price tag on all coins in their display. To answer your question, I suppose it depends on the dealer you are having a conversation with. The guy I was buying Mint sets from would charge me $1 above Greysheet pricing and he was happy just to get rid of them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6665 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, some discretion is advised, along with a dose of good manners. Building relationships is important--and beneficial.

And, maintain an easy going sense of humor.
Edited by ijn1944
11/02/2021 08:25 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3659 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  08:28 am  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
try to be as inconspicuous as possible when checking the prices

I Agree 100%, be discrete about checking prices..

Most dealers I have encountered have their coins priced at close to full trends, so some negotiating is expected.

If you see something you like ask the dealer if they have any wiggle room in the price. and go from there.
Learn More...
United States
108132 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Other than the good advice already given, make at least one trip around the floor before making your first purchase. Take it all in. There is almost always plenty to look at.

The primary reason for a coin show may be to buy coins, but seeing what else is out there is a solid secondary mission.

Good luck and enjoy!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16455 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had great success negotiating with dealers at coin shows . If you ask for the price and it seams to high just say will you take so and so $$ for it . The majority of times if the offer is fair he will say ok . They are there to sell coins not sit on them . Have fun at the show ,politeness goes a big way .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1826 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Politeness goes a long way, even if you are just browsing.

Quote:
Other than the good advice already given, make at least one trip around the floor before making your first purchase. Take it all in. There is almost always plenty to look at.

Agreed. Don't rush it, take your time.
And if you see something you like, make a mental note of it and come back later.
Valued Member
United States
492 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not see why in the world you would have any problems or concerns referencing a greysheet even in a very conspicuous manner while shopping. You can't possibly expect, or be expected, to memorize the market value of all coins. I do not believe any reputable dealer/vendor would care one way or the other.

It is not impolite, it is an aid to make a sensible purchase. I would avoid forever any dealer/vendor who would balk or be offended at your use of buying aids of any kind.
Learn More...
United States
108132 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And if you see something you like, make a mental note of it and come back later.

Quote:
I do not believe any reputable dealer/vendor would care one way or the other.
True, but it takes time and if others are waiting, step aside.

I find it best to note the prices on my want list ahead of time. Since I work from my list, it is a quicker reference without having to search for the information on a larger (price) list.
Valued Member
United States
354 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the advice! I'm excited to go
Pillar of the Community
United States
1070 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2021  12:12 am  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't let a few grumpy dealers drag you down. (I've never been to a show that didn't have a few grumpy old dealers who would have been better off if they stayed in bed that morning.) Have fun, be happy and polite. Strike up conversations with the friendly ones for a couple mins if there isn't a line as maybe they have something that meets your needs buried behind the table. Like others have said, browse the floor once and then get what makes you happiest.
My hoard of '82s is up to 223! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 5, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 16, 1782 x 58, 1882 x 62, 1982 x 37
Learn More...
United States
108132 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2021  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm excited to go
I am excited for (and envious of) you!
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2021  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JRock23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck attending the show. A few suggestions, some have been covered.
Don't be in a rush to purchase. Visit each table of interest, see what people have to offer, and then consider your interest level.

I've always found a simple "thank you" when leaving a table or " you have a lot of nice coins". Being nice goes a long way.

Most dealers will negotiate, so don't be afraid to ask. I generally say something like " I'm interested in the coin. I have cash. Do you have any room". Seems to work - other times I'll simply make a offer.

Last, it's pretty common for people to look up values. Be polite and most will understand. Have fun
Pillar of the Community
United States
1070 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2021  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My opinion is the buyer has the right to carry around their knowledge and let that be a factor in their decision. As long as you're not interfering in the dealer making other sales (taking up space preventing others from buying) or really nitpicking and annoying them, you should be welcome to be informed just like they ought to be about their inventory. If an informed customer is a threat, the problem is not the customer.
My hoard of '82s is up to 223! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 5, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 16, 1782 x 58, 1882 x 62, 1982 x 37
Learn More...
United States
108132 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 454Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: