Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1773 King George Half Penny

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 330Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
2737 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2021  12:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Bought this on a whim basically because I know nothing about these. Thought the color and planchet looked pretty good though. Honest wear. Probably overpaid at $12 shipped but that's ok. https://www.ebay.com/itm/144273414455 Not sure if this is correct forum being a UK coin?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Edited by jerryc39
11/08/2021 12:18 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64176 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2021  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No idea what it might be worth, but that's a good-looking hunk of copper!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
715 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  09:56 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw your post on another forum, so for completeness, I will copy my response here:

"Definitely a contemporary counterfeit, but still interesting and collectable for that. These were massively counterfeited at the time as a hike in Copper prices had made it worthwhile for the fraudsters to do this, despite the risk of being hung, or even worse transported to Australia if you were caught!
Check the weight when you have it in hand - a Regal coin should be over 9g. Most of the copies are around 7g.
Worth your $12 even as a counterfeit."
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mick1271 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice colour plenty of detail and hasn't been in the ground , which is a plus . Probably 8-10 , so $12 isn't far away .
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
715 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2021  07:06 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one, which is Regal, came to me on Saturday:

Pillar of the Community
United States
2737 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2021  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that one looks to have pitting and a decent scratch across the reverse. As far as values go what would the regal coin be worth?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
715 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2021  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Difficult to be sure on value. Most of those sold on Ebay recently have been contemporary forgeries. I would think 15 to 20 would be about right - but it is not for sale!
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 330Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: