Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019-P Lowell Quarter-Die Crack In Hair Together With Tower Die Chips; And Planchet Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 252Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
191 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  10:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There have been prior posts of each of these individual errors on the LOWELL quarter-- but together on the same coin? Here there is a die chip in the bell area, along with a small one on the roof.
There is also an interesting raised area under the letters W and E in LOWELL.
Maybe a planchet error?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
42754 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By the WE is a hit from another coin,PMD. Die crack in hair and die chip in bell tower.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55440 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WELL is a coin scratch. (These devices are incuse not raised. So coin contact happens on these field areas. They look like they flow behind the devices, but they are on the top of the surface of the coin. Just damage on that area.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
191 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for responding John1 and Coop. However, please a look at these additional photos of LOWELL.
Assuming it is a scratch, the surfaces of the W and the E do not show any evidence of damage or "scratch"; so how could it be a PMD scratch extending through these devices? Wouldn't the lack of damage to the devices indicate a pre-strike planchet defect?

Pillar of the Community
United States
4698 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, the devices are incuse, so you need to reverse your typical thinking of how damage affects that area. You can damage the background without touching the lettering.

Same thing with doubling, typically doubled dies increase the size of lettering and Machine Doubling reduces the size, but for incuse lettering it's the opposite.
Valued Member
United States
191 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got it. Not a planchet error. Thanks Coop and Adam_E for your helpful responses.
The primary focus of my post was the discovery of two distinct errors on the same 2019-P LOWELL quarter reverse--the die chips on the clock tower and the hair die crack. Has anyone else in the Community seen these two errors on the same coin?
Also, the clock tower die chips appear to be a progressive error, and I was curious as to whether this is an early or late die state. I am adding the coin to my collection and wanted to provide a proper description.
Thanks in advance for your comments.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5313 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right. the incuse letters are deeper than the scratch is over them, thus not reaching the flat portion of the letters.
Edited by Dearborn
11/08/2021 9:04 pm
Valued Member
United States
191 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2021  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With no responses helping to identify die state of the errors on this 2019 Lowell Quarter, and in particular, the peculiar clock/bell tower die chip, I did some investigation on my own. I discovered that my quarter is likely an early stage die, with the die chip appearing mostly in the left interior chamber of the tower. Some collectors are calling these die chip errors the "Ghost Tower." In later die stages, the die chip progresses to both interior chambers of the tower, the right side ledge of the tower, and then onto the tower roof. In the later stages, the die chips are massive. I've seen these described as "The Flaming Tower."
It appears there have been sales of these error coins on Ebay for as much as $20, with the larger die chips of course fetching the higher bids.
Cheers!

e
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 252Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: