Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Just Got This Back A While Ago.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 329Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
107 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2021  5:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jerry to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A 1966 Aussie 2 cent "No-Sd" in PCGS AU-55...rare...

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62875 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2021  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats, nice-looking example.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19262 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2021  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some research reveals that there was a range of dates for Australian Two Cents coins that have no 'SD'.

The opinion offered is that the 'SD' is due to the tiny letters in the die, which are subject to grease filling. In can be inferred that as a result, the coin pictured is a minor error, not a variety.
Nevertheless,
'no SD' Two Cents coins are relatively scarce, and as such, can be valued at $50 of more in uncirculated condition.

"SD" are the designer's initials. I have personally spoken with him may years ago on the subjects of jewelry and coin design. He thought that his most successful coin design was the Australian 20 Cents coin, which is still currently issued. He opined that showing the platypus under the surface of water in a round frame coin design was a difficult task, but ended up being very well interpreted.

He was once appointed as Goldsmith to Elizabeth 11. Now deceased.
Valued Member
Canada
107 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2021  02:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry:
Researched this in the UNSW in Sydney's rare book division years ago looking back at the magazines from the period and then interviewing a person that worked in the mint at that time. According to them there was a test die that was used for alignment when the decimal series 2 cent piece was initially made that got mixed in with the production dies. The reason was that some dies cracked due to the high production volumes and rather than create a new die they just used this one. It was used in years 1966, 1967, 1968 and 1981 before being retired. The estimate I heard was about 10k was used for all those years. The coin community at the time didn't think it was rare until I mentioned it in 1996 in the Coin Review.(now out of print).
Valued Member
Canada
107 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2021  02:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
P.S.
As this was a mint created issue without the initials of Stuart-Devlin (SD) and INTENTIONALLY used by the mint and not an error coin that makes it rare. Few people of the time collected them so the survival rate is only a few. Of those years mentioned above the 1966 No-SD is the rarest IMHO having tried collecting all associated dates (1966, 1967,1968 and 1981).

Yes, there are strikes from "grease-filled-dies"and "hub-doubling" but they are different.

Regards (JH from Beacroft)
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1880 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2021  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So that is mentioned in a 1996 Australian Coin Review? That's the first I've heard of that story.
Valued Member
Canada
107 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was in "Letters to the editor" along with the discovery about the 1981 20 cent with scalloped lettering-then graded and both authenticated by the ACGS (no longer active)
Pillar of the Community
Australia
704 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Of those years mentioned above the 1966 No-SD is the rarest IMHO having tried collecting all associated dates (1966, 1967,1968 and 1981).

The 'No-SD' was covered extensively in Books and Publications back in the late 1960's,i have an article somewhere but as usual I can't find it but will Post when I do locate it.

I'll throw this up whilst I have the Mag. out.
Edited by Basil
11/25/2021 5:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1880 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It was in "Letters to the editor" along with the discovery about the 1981 20 cent with scalloped lettering-then graded and both authenticated by the ACGS (no longer active)

Do you remember which issue that year?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
704 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still can't find the article on the 'No SD' 2c.Back in the 1990's(pre Internet) I lent a pile of Coin Mags.to a local Coin Club to scan the 1960 articles they were interested in and did not get them back,it may be amongst them.
I'll keep looking but IIRC correctly they stated a filled Die was 90% certainly the cause,using the logic that mind boggling mintages from the Mints would cause this.
But,using the same logic it is possible a unused Die was used.

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 329Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: