Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2021-D Lincoln Shield Cent- Possible New DDR?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 346Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2021  12:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Krisalane to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
eta: corrected title from LMC

Hello all.
Is this a DDR? Places I'm looking... LB, Bottom shield, wider curved stripe on the right, ONE ceNT, overall it looks misshapen (appears to lean to the left fatter on right(?))

What do you fantastic numismatics think?

added filter light images...

Edited by Krisalane
11/11/2021 2:40 pm
Valued Member
United States
191 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2021  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Krisalane, the LB does look a bit larger---but I think this may be due to a lighting issue. Also, there's too much glare and that is also making difficult to assess anything unusual. Try taking photos with indirect, filtered lighting.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2021  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krisalane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Krisalane, the LB does look a bit larger---but I think this may be due to a lighting issue. Also, there's too much glare and that is also making difficult to assess anything unusual. Try taking photos with indirect, filtered lighting.

Thanks MB. New ones are super hard to get pics of!
Let's see if this helps any...

Ambient light...

Ambient light, filtered...
Edited by Krisalane
11/11/2021 2:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5314 Posts
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2021  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krisalane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Dearborn. Plating bubbles? That's interesting.
Do you think plating bubbles could have caused the extra width on the LB and bottom right column, as well?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64279 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2021  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That would not affect the location or frequency of plating bubbles.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42754 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2021  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would help if you filtered all of your light sources. The pics also look a bit out of focus, to me anyways.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
191 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2021  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Krisalane, thanks for the additional photos.
However, I don't see anything that appears to be a DDR. Take a look at photos of the 2021-D LSC on PCGS, or any other bona fide coin website. I think the coin looks like the normal coin as minted. I'll be interested if others have comments one way or the other.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1218 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2021  07:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Krisalane, another tell tale sign of having a shield DDR is checking EPU, (E PLURIBUS UNUM). It will almost always be very thin looking, compared to a normal die, some part of it, if not all and will also be distorted. Here is one I found earlier this year that shows it well.
-makecents-
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2021  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krisalane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some edits. These are the differences I'm referring to. Is this MD or strike through or DDD or.....? What am I looking at? Thanks again all!!!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55440 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2021  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To understand these differences I created this thread to help sort thing out.
On the DDR's for example the 2013 DDR, when you see the images side by side you will see the differences:
Two things happening on this DDR:
1. The raised devices will be enlarged in size.
2. The incuse devices will be reduced in size.
That is how doubled dies are totally different on these raised and incuse devices. They are opposites.

Same for Machine Doubling. It does just the opposite on the different raised and incuse devices.
Raised devices will be reduced in size:

incuse devices will be enlarged in size:

So when looking at DDR's on the ATB Quarters, you will find them on the outer ring devices. The DDR's are on the center of the design. So 70% of the enlarged incuse devices you find on these quarters are machine doubled, and never a doubled die, but Machine Doubling. (they just can't happen on that area of the design.
Note Machine Doubling on these cent design compared with the real DDR incuse devices:

So the Machine Doubling on the incuse and raised devices are just opposite each other.
So the true hub doubling on the doubled dies are just opposite. The raised are enlarged, the incuse are reduced in size. It took seeing this years cents to see what was going on with these raised and lower devices and how it also had an opposite affect on Machine Doubling.

https://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/coop49...asil_AAA.jpg

Hub doubling on incuse devices can also look different from die to die.

The VDB is incuse on the shoulder of the cents, so Machine Doubling can affect the shape of these initials.

On raised devices Machine Doubling can affect one side of the devices, while on the incuse devices they are affected on the opposite sides of the devices:

Confusing, but knowing the differences are there and how they are just opposites, helps calm the answers.
1. Doubled dies on raised devices enlarge the devices.
2. Doubled dies on incuse devices will be reduced in size.
A. Machine doubling on raised devices will remove the contour flattening it into the devices, make the devices smaller in size.
B. Machine doubling on incuse devices will enlarge the devices by altering the incuse area pushing it, to make the devices appear larger.

CoopHome: Why are raised and incuse devices affected differently on the doubled dies and on Machine Doubling?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
11/12/2021 11:40 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 346Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: