Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Domitia Provincial Addition.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 270Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2431 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2021  4:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Been looking for a Domitia coin for a while now and this sweet little bronze provincial called to me...Thought I'd share it..
Nice portrait with her full name readable and also a well centred reverse.
It was minted in Eumeneia between 81-96 A.D, a town positioned on the river Claucus in the ancient West region of ancient Asia Minor, part of modern day Turkey. The town was named after Eumenis II by his brother the king of Pergamon Attalus II.

Phrygia, Eumeneia (near Civril, Turkey). Domitia, 81-96 AD. Bronze AE 15mm (2.47 gm).
Obv.: ΔOMITIA CEBACTH, Draped bust right. Hair rolled in front and in que behind,
Rev.: ΚΛ ΤEΡEΝΤΥΛΛΑ ΑΡΧΙE /EΥΜE-ΝE-ΩΝ, Kybele enthroned to left, Patera in extended right hand, resting left forearm and hand on Tympanum (drum) at near side
RPC II 1388. Rare. gVF.

And here is hubby...
Pillar of the Community
United States
6146 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2021  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice score there, Paul. Good looking coin. Said it before: If I collected Romans, I'd definitely focus on Provincials bronzes.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2431 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2021  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bob,
Yes I agree the Provincials certainly have more interesting reverses and they also allow you to pick up scarcer emperors/empressess and reachable prices at least on my budget.
Valued Member
United States
329 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a nice coin. Here's a Domitia of mine from Biblical city Philadelphia, Lydia, 15mm, 2.8 grams, RPC II 1336. Sorry the pic is a little out of focus. I have a collection of Roman Provincial coins from cities in the Bible. Some cities issued a lot of coins and are common, others rare and hard to get. A few of my coins are listed/pictured on the RPC site.

Edited by livingwater
11/30/2021 7:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
679 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two coins from Phrygia tonight. What are the chances of that? Another superbly detailed coin, Paul.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2431 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jim.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 270Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: