Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

TPG Detail Grading & Valuations By Sellers/Buyers

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 257Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3123 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2021  9:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I know that it always helps to have a coin in hand or photos but do TPGs typically maintain a coin at an AU-50, for example, even though it may have more than one issue.

For example, if a nice looking coin with AU-50 features with both a significant obverse scratch and an obvious rim ding, would a TPG still keep the grade at an AU-50 with a details designation?

And from a prospective buyer's point of view would it be within the numismatic norms to pay only XF-45 money to purchase this dual issue coin? Or would paying XF-40 cash be more in line with past tendencies?

I realize that every coin presents its own unique perspective but I am seeking only generalities.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3606 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2021  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on the TPG.

NGC and PCGS use only the letter grades and details, so "XF Details" covers a fair bit of ground. "AU Details" even more.

-----Burton
47 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, OnLinw Coin Club
Owned by four cats and a wife of 37 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
7665 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2021  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Consider this:
People have been playing the re-slabbing game for years now. Because there is no verifiable scientific set of standards the company uses to grade, this means a coin broken out of a slab and resubmitted, even to the same company, is never guaranteed the same grade again.

Even the most experience dealers cannot predict what they will receive on their submissions. That is b/c grading is an art (per the companies' own words) and relies on human opinions.

Quote:
I realize that every coin presents its own unique perspective but I am seeking only generalities.

And generalities is what the entire slabbing business is all about - it is what keeps them in business. No science = different grades possible = people resubmitting to get higher grades. Its a business. All of them, back in the 90s'had what their own documentation called computer grading system which were marketed as being more accurate than human graders. They abandoned them and went back to subjectivity. No doubt when coins can actually be assigned a verifiable grade, profits plummet since there is no more re-slabbing game to play after the initial slabbing. Business exist for profit.

Thus your example coin could be slabbed and re-slabbed until the grade desired was put onto the label (within variable limits).

I personally know of a very experienced dealer friend who cracked and re-submitted the same bust quarter, that was what he thought to be a very high dollar coin at the next grade level, seven times until just the "right" graders saw it on the "right" day and it made the "money grade."

Follow the link for examples giving a lot of validity to the above.
http://goccf.com/t/346174#2967242

How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5424 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2021  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My rule-of-thumb for coins graded "DETAILS" is to cut the value to half of what its straight grade would be.
And that's just a starting point.
It could be lower.
VERY rarely would it be higher; generally that occurs for me if the coin is HIGHLY desired and difficult to find.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 257Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: