Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Roman Coins With Early Christian Symbols

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 947Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
937 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tdziemia, I knew someone must have looked into this. Very interesting reading. Thanks for sharing!

@JohnConduitt, nice to see another Decentius!

@livingwater, I am honored to have someone that learned in this thread. When browsing through the online Celators (it ceased publication long before I got into ancients), your article immediately caught my attention. Very well worth reading. And the coins you show are super additions to the thread! The one with Chi-Rho on Constantine's helmet is rare. On your example the Chi-Rho is well visible.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
937 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Time for my last coin, at least for now.

AE3/4, Constantine I, 335-36 AD, Arles (2nd officina). 1.9 g, 16 mm. RIC 401.

One of not too many coins by Constantine the Great that has a Chi-Rho XP sign - although not with his portrait. But this one is surely a mintmark; most Constantinopolis coins do not have it, also on those from Arles it is an exception. The significance of the XP sign was likely known throughout the empire by this time, so perhaps we see the action of a Christian mint master or celator?

So no more coins from me, but please do keep adding any ones that you have. I'd love to see them!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
679 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for starting this thread @erafjel. The write-up and image of the double maiorina really piqued my interest, as did the other Chi-Rho coins you posted. I hadn't really thought much about the symbolism of the Chi-Rho or the Tau-Rho before, or the emergence of angels from Nike/Victory, so the thread has been a real eye opener.

Thanks also to @travelcoin, @JohnConduitt and @livingwater for the additional information and superb coin illustrations. The "First Christian Symbols on Roman Imperial Coins" is a most interesting read, @livingwater. Thank you.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
937 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, @Novicius. You know I value your "My First Animal On A Coin" thread, with its historical backgrounds to the coins. Happy to give a little something back.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4541 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

A diminutive (just 12 mm across) issue of Valentinian II. Note the staurogram (tau-rho) in the lower left field on the reverse. Constatinople mint, RIC IX 86a.

Another of mine, an issue of Valens, Aquileia mint, with a distinct christogram (chi-rho) atop the labarum on the reverse.

One more from my collection, Theododius I (the Great), again with what looks to be a staurogram in the left field on the reverse. I believe this was struck at Cyzicus, and as such it would seem to be to RIC IX 26b.

I'd add that there's a transitional aspect to this last coin, something of a juxtaposition between Christianity and Greco-Roman religious beliefs, as evidenced by Victory being shown on the reverse as well. Beyond being a personification, she was in fact a goddess for the Romans just as Nike was to the Greeks. One last point to make is that in any case she certainly conforms to the later concepts of what an angel ought to look like.

A prior thread also touching on this topic: http://goccf.com/t/388894

Colligo ergo sum
Edited by Lucky Cuss
12/06/2021 5:55 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
937 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are great little coins, @Lucky Cuss! Nice to see some from later emperors.
Valued Member
United States
497 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Check Victor's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Victor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Constantine I
A.D. 327
#1236; nummus 19mm 2.6g
CONSTANTINVS MAX AVG; laureate head right
SPES PVBLIC; chi-rho atop standard of 3 medallions impaling snake, in left field A.
in ex. CONS
RIC VII Constantinople 19

Constantine I
A.D. 328
#1236; nummus 21mm 3.2g
Anepigraphic: diademed head, looking up to heavens
CONSTANTINIANA DAFNE; Victory seated l. on cippus, palm branch in left hand and laurel branch in right hand, looking r.; trophy at front, at the foot is a kneeling captive with head turned being spurned by Victory; A in left field.
in ex. CONS
RIC VII Constantinopleó
Edited by Victor
12/07/2021 1:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
937 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you @Victor, real nice additions to the thread!
Valued Member
United States
330 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for posting comments and coin pics. Hi Victor! You are THE MAN for Late Roman Bronze Coins. Your expertise is appreciated. As a collector and dealer you are helpful and honest.
Edited by livingwater
12/08/2021 4:59 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 947Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: