Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do You Prefer Mint State Coins Or Circulated Coins?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 462Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19243 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first numismatic love is ancient coins.
The correct equivalent term for 'mint state' for ancient coins is 'As Struck', and no ancient coin is perfectly struck, - one of the reasons for this is ancient coins are not struck within a collar, and therefore each coin is unique, as compared with a modern machine struck coin.

The purpose of a coin is that it is designed to be used as money, and was designed to be circulated. For this reason, I have no preference for a circulated or uncirculated modern coin. Even for modern coins, I regard each coin as individual in it's own right, with all of it's imperfections and wear, which may or may not influence it's value to a collector.

I will accept or reject each individual coin on it's own merits.
Edited by sel_69l
11/24/2021 11:02 pm
Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins are harmless when compared to the filth that can live on paper currency!
Valued Member
149 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add radars_teddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not so bad that they are basically modern road kill coins but have been used for what they were supposed to be used for and still look beautiful.

The best coin designs take wear into conisedration when they are designed as that is how they are presented to the public. I always thought that Mercs wear down in a lovely way, There is more to a coin than just its mint state aesthetic.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5130 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know most of the hobby revolves around coins in mint state,

Really? Since when?

Take a quick look at the world's largest coin marketplace, and you will see this statement is inaccurate.
Edited by tdziemia
11/24/2021 8:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2036 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure what the world's largest coin marketplace is? But I guess I should have specified that I was asking about more modern coins, 200 years or so. I have not looked into the market, this question is mainly about eye appeal.
Valued Member
United States
495 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  11:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer circulated coins for a few reasons.

First, I like to hold my coins in hand. I'd rather have a roll of circulated War Nickels than one nice MS65 example. The mint state coins look wonderful but most end up in a slab. The circulated coins I can poke around and get my hands dirty.

Second, I love the connection to history. Going back to the War Nickels I can picture these sitting in a till at a general store in some small town in America during the war. A mint state example was probably plucked from a bag and put aside for decades. No real connection there.

Third, the price premium jumps too much from grade to grade in mint state. For some collectors an MS66 might be worth thousands more than an MS65. I'm focused on completing a date run in some coins so I need quantity not quality. I just can't justify the premium at the expense of completing a date run.

Just my preferences of course. To each his own.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5130 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not sure what the world's largest coin marketplace is?

eBay. I would be surprised if even 10% of what is sold there is MS quakity, regardless of the era. I'm also sure what is on display at my LCS is less than 50% MS coins.

I also think back to how I started: pulling coins from circulation as a kid, and filling blue Whitman folders. Sure, many collectors move on from that to higher quality coins. I think our own preferences sometimes affect how we view the the hobby.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2036 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ahh, should have automatic known you meant ebay. And I guess there is many types of collectors, many people can't afford to spend 1000$ on a coin so it would make sense that more people buy circulation low to mid grade over high grade. Me personally even if I had thousands or tens of thousands to spend on coins, I would much rather but an entire set or two then 4-5 super high grade coins. Also for much older coins with lower mintage there are far less high MS examples then low to mid grade so, availability and price play a big part. The mid to low grade coins have a much larger market then super high grades.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
391 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 88isgreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My simple answer is YES. I like to see the bright and shiny MS coins to appreciate the design as envisioned by the designer / engraver. I also like the look of many of these same coins to see how they hold up with age. It's hard to put into words, but a worn coin can have a beauty about it that is unmatched. Depending on the wear pattern, it can be a unique piece of art unto itself.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19243 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are only interested in mint state coins you are severely restricting yourself to a very small part of the huge range of numismatically interesting coins that are available.

Most of us here in the CCF would never be able to afford the high cost of 19th century and earlier American coins in mint state.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1392 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love the shine and detail of a mint-state coin. It's the kind of coin that allows the designer's full intent of his or her art to shine through.

But as others have said, I also adore coins that have a story to tell--that is, older coins that have a nice amount of circulation wear. For example, I have a 1794 large cent--minted when George Washington was president. It's in barely readable shape, but the date is there as well as a fair obverse and a good reverse. How many people's hands did this go through since it was minted? And who were they? What kind of path did this coin take in the 200+ years it has been around from the day it was minted to the day it ended up in a dealer's stash to the day I bought it? Fascinating thoughts--which make coin collecting the truly wonderful hobby that it is.
Valued Member
United States
419 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems like many of us like both circulated and MS coins, depending on the circumstance. I don't think anyone has mentioned the smell of circulated coins, though. There is nothing quite like the scent left on your hands after digging through a nice bag/jar/roll of Lincoln wheat cents or Mercury dimes. You don't forget it. To some it might seem unpleasant or dirty; to an avid collector, it's a bit of a rush.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1713 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me it depends on the age of the coin.
For instance, my 20th Century Type Set is all high AU or high MS/PR. But for older coins I collect I like circulated coinage as well, especially if they have a nice "circulation cameo".
Pillar of the Community
United States
7761 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my PCGS 7070 Type Set, the 20th Century dates are MS and the 19th Century are circulated, AU58 and below.
Edited by oih82w8
Yesterday 1:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2036 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What to you prefer the look of more(for those of you with full sets)? Do you have a favorite specific coins? If you had to pick one based on eye appeal is you favorite coin MS or lower to AU grade?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 462Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: