Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Interest In Ikes Is Not Peaking

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 930Next Topic
Page: of 4
United States
30 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How can you distinguish them from cleaning then? I am having this discussion in another thread. It is getting harder and harder for me to distinguish a coin from a harsh cleaning to a die or planchette issue.

It can be difficult to tell sometimes. If the lines are parallel, run through the devices, and appear on both obverse and reverse (in manner illustrated by coop's pic), I'd rule out a polished die or cleaning. Plus, a polished die will leave lines in relief.
Valued Member
149 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add radars_teddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Road kill
Slang for a coin that looks like it spent some time on a road repeatedly being run over by cars and trucks.

which would explain the striated lines in the coin and maybe even the toning ;)
Edited by radars_teddy
11/24/2021 5:47 pm
Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
which would explain the stiated lines in the coin and maybe even the toning ;)
Touché
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3329 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What? You're selling both of them?

Actually, for being downunder, I think I have a pretty good collection of Ikes. Only need 2 to complete the set. :)

View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Actually, for being downunder, I think I have a pretty good collection of Ikes. Only need 2 to complete the set. :)
Outstanding! Do not give up now!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1713 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to PCGS, a MS67+ is worth $6,500. https://www.PCGS.com/pricehistory#/?=7416-67+
Still, seems steep when a MS66 is $150 and a MS66+ is $500.
Valued Member
149 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add radars_teddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
According to PCGS, a MS67+ is worth $6,500.

well that will sell a few slabs for them. When I read that, I put zero value on that accessment, even if it is backed up with auction results. Its just a warped market based on conditional rarity bid up by a few buyers and it ignores the broader market.
United States
30 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Excellent! Sounds like you're ahead of me, but I am caught up in searching for varieties, die events and other such things in the series.

What Ikes are you still needing?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3622 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have yet to spend more than $105 on an Ike.

Good to know
Valued Member
149 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add radars_teddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Excellent! Sounds like you're ahead of me, but I am caught up in searching for varieties, die events and other such things in the series.

That is one of the interesting things about collecting Ikes. They are so badly made that it is a field day for variety and error collectors. I actually collect them because I like the design :)
Valued Member
United States
367 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carlp007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Out of my price range. I would not be able to buy coins for 3-4 years if bought something Ike that.

I have my complete set of Ikes with all the type 1, 2, 3, blue envelope, brown box, bicentennial type 1, 2, peg leg and friendly eagle. Did I miss any? if so, I'm not quite complete.
Edited by carlp007
11/24/2021 5:54 pm
United States
30 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I actually collect them because I like the design :)

Shhh! Don't say that too loudly. There are many here that would vehemently disagree. (And that's OK.) I agree with you. I consider the design quintessential mid-century America. The great WW2 general and post-war president, backed with the insignia from the crowning technological achievement of the era. It's a design of its time.
United States
30 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have my complete set of Ikes with all the type 1, 2, 3, blue envelope, brown box, bicentennial type 1, 2, peg leg and friendly eagle. Did I miss any? if so, I'm not quite complete.

That's a very nice set, in my opinion. Congrats on pulling it together.

If so inclined, you can always go down the Ike rabbit hole and seek out the die clashes, doubled dies a few RPMs and the various peggers. But beware!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3329 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  04:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

What Ikes are you still needing?

Hi Cladboy,
I don't collect varieties, but I have ended up with varieties I and II of the 1972 Philadelphia coin. The only 2 I need now are the 1973D and 1973S.

I think this is my favourite...

View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
United States
30 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
triggersmob,

Thanks for sharing. That's a gorgeous Ike.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 930Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: