Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cleaned Sixpences Hard To Grade V

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 10 / Views: 386Next Topic  
Valued Member

149 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2021  4:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add radars_teddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9759 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2021  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks more like circulation cameo to me.

I do recommend that you send Princetane a PM - he is our resident expert on NZ coins.

Just a suggestion - I expect you'd more responses if your photos were visible with your text rather than requiring viewers to click on small icons - this is quite awkward, especially if you're using a phone.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3440 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2021  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see big pictures.
I agree with NumisRob, looks like circulation cameo.
Nice coin.
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,800 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Valued Member
149 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2021  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add radars_teddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I expect you'd more responses if your photos were visible with your text

They are visiable with the text, FWIW. I don't use or own a smartphone.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9759 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2021  03:48 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Apologies, radars_teddy - I have just read jBuck's instructions on how to view insecure content on Chrome and have now successfully reset my laptop so I can see your photos!
Edited by NumisRob
11/21/2021 03:54 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3313 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2021  04:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cleaned and polished gVF. Good coin, but ruined by bad cleaning.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Valued Member
149 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2021  06:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add radars_teddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Cleaned and polished

how do you see it as cleaned?
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3313 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2021  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shined up in the middle with darkened tone around the lettering where the cleaner did not bother. Polished grey wear on Kings cheek - suggests dipping or wiping with a dabbing cloth, a material like Silvio silver dip.

Believe me I know, I have 30 years experience with the coins of my own country and many people come to me with their coins of NZ for my opinion.

I know I am dating myself, but I do it to protect people from being ripped off, because the NZ series is heavily cleaned (Cleaning is a really bad problem here, many of my coins are cheap because they are cleaned sometime in the past and that is all there is).

Also the NZ silver series before 1947 was 40% copper, 5% Zinc and 5% Nickel and these metals often wore the coin to an ugly green or black/brown colour. Hence as the coins wore, people cleaned them to get back that silver shine.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
716 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2021  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
(Cleaning is a really bad problem here, many of my coins are cheap because they are cleaned sometime in the past and that is all there is).

It was the same in Oz.,Coins were cleaned regulary here up until the mid 1960's,as we moved to Decimal currency and the average Joe became au fait with Coins and not to clean them.

I have a Book from my School days that recommended cleaning to remove grit and grime,i'll post the chapter when I find it,guys on the Stamp Forums couldn't believe it and thought I had written myself.
Edit..found it on an old computer....

Edited by Basil
11/21/2021 6:41 pm
Valued Member
149 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  12:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add radars_teddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have a Book from my School days that recommended cleaning to remove grit and grime,i'll post the chapter when I find it,guys on the Stamp Forums couldn't believe it and thought I had written myself.
Edit..found it on an old computer....

That is quite amazing to read!
Valued Member
149 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  12:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add radars_teddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Believe me I know, I have 30 years experience with the coins of my own country

I am not doubting you at all. I am just trying to learn from your experience.
  Replies: 10 / Views: 386Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: