Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

50 - 1942 Farthings - Sitting In A Bath

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 416Next Topic  
Valued Member

149 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2021  12:02 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add radars_teddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I picked up a roll of 1942 Farthings inexepenisively, hoping to get one or two that are worth keeping. They have been sitting in acetone baths for the last week or so, in three successive solutions of fresh acetone.

They came out OK although I think maybe they need a water rinse. I am not sure how to handle them. Here is a couple of images of the outcome and I am curious about this one with the striations. What caused that?

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1031 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2021  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks very much like the effect you get on one of your American woodies which I believe comes about when the different metals in the coin are not properly mixed when being melted.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
715 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2021  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure what is going on here - I can see @coaster coin, but all the pictures in @radars_teddy's post are coming up as broken links.

Anyone else having the same issue?

Valued Member
United Kingdom
232 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Anyone else having the same issue?

Strangely, on my phone I can see all the pictures, but on my laptop they are all missing.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
715 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jbuck has posted a solution to this problem here: http://goccf.com/t/132633&whichpage=163#3532348
which works fine for me.
Bit concerned it means lowering security and I am not sure why this should be necessary, but hey-ho.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1025 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Paddy. Odd that Radars images don't show but Coasters image does. Would have thought a security issue would be relevant to all images, not those of particular posters. Me thinks this is a Numista issue as users shoudn't be compromising security to view certain images.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1031 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... images hosted on an "insecure" site (HTTP instead of HTTPS)

jbuck gives the reason here http://goccf.com/t/409413

So because the images were posted from an insecure site it all depends which browser (and its current settings) that you are using as to whether or not you can see the photos.

If you can't, another alternative is to simply 'Right click on icon and choose and Open image in New Tab' as suggested by Nevol http://goccf.com/t/411200
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1031 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
another alternative is to simply 'Right click on icon and choose and Open image in New Tab'

As well as being quick and easy, this alternate method has the added bonus of not having to alter any of your browser's security settings.
Valued Member
149 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  11:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add radars_teddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

So because the images were posted from an insecure site

The website is perfectly secure. Nbody has ever broken into our family website ever, in over 25 years nor has it ever ever been a vector of any malware or harmful activity. And we have hosted many organizations and events. Browsers playing fast and lose with the word security aren't being forthright with security.
Edited by radars_teddy
11/22/2021 11:57 pm
Learn More...
United States
108156 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only thing "insecure" about the CCF Gallery site is that it still uses HTTP instead of HTTPS. In short, a "man in the middle" can intercept and possibly manipulate the traffic between an HTTP site and your browser. Worst case is a bogeyman replaces a coin image with something nasty, like a corrupted image that exploits an unpatched browser vulnerability. However, it is more likely they will just see what coins you like to view most.
Valued Member
149 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add radars_teddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
id rather discuss farthings
Learn More...
United States
108156 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 416Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: