Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Nice Old Box For Coin Trays. Opinions On How To "Repair It"?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 777Next Topic  
Portugal
45 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2021  3:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bennycunha97 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Helo everyone!

Recently I found myself in need for more storage space and I got another coin tray box. Unlike my other ones (two metal boxes, very modern and professional looking) this one is older and in second hand.

As can be seen below this has a bit of damage particularly in the places it folds.

Before using it I want to repair it/conserve it, or else I'm afraid it might completely break off. My brother suggested I use some thick wallpaper-like strips and line the edges with it, making it both reinforcing the folds as well as making it still aesthetically pleasing for instance by using textured red paper to make it match the inside red. What are your opinions on that, and suggestions of how else to make it better?

Those are too thin to glue and would need to be flexible anyway to have the box open.

Benny
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19563 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2021  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Careful application of PVA glue where appropriate would help with the repair.
Learn More...
United States
112066 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A nice classic box! I am no restoration expert, so no advice to give; however, I wish you they best of luck.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20681 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should be careful of old wood for storage. Short time storage should be OK but would not trust it for long time storage.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
112066 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wood is not necessarily bad. You have to use the right wood, with the right age, and the right finish.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7344 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You have to use the right wood, with the right age, and the right finish.

Get the trifecta correct and you have a great storage box...

Curious though, that is the material made of that covers the box? Leather? or a faux leather or plastic of some sort?

if leather: https://www.furnitureclinic.com/lea...0%7C%20Exact
If Faux Leather: https://www.amazon.com/faux-leather...r+repair+kit
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17187 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice box for storing coins in 2x2 or 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 holders .
with all the different colored duct tape they make now ,how about using a brown tape to make your repairs .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Portugal
45 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bennycunha97 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your opinions! I will keep in mind that this is wood and keep inspecting my coins there once I put them in. Since this is actually made for coins I'm confident the type of wood is fit for purpose but thanks for the heads up!

As for the conservation, I think I will try my luck with taping the edges with some thick tape or even wallpaper-like paper and Elmer's glue. I don't think a full restoration is justified both because of the cost and because this box will mostly not be moving around and so it doesn't need the sturdiness that would come with a full restoration.

Benny
Learn More...
United States
112066 Posts
Spain
26 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add siro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
She is very pretty, she deserves a little love.
Portugal
45 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2022  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bennycunha97 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reviving this topic because there's indeed progress here!

So I did get some wallpaper. I would have preferred red or brown but that would be more expensive than I felt was necessary, and I got this gray one for free so

I used Elmer's glue to glue it and did a few patches at strategic places, mostly around those edges that were just breaking off. Just glued the last patch and now it seems to be fully functional and lines up well so I feel it was a success! I will wait a few days to put my coins in there to assure it's fully dried and no vapours make the coins smelly or even damage them.

Pics follow:

Not perfect by any stretch but I like the look of it and I'm proud that I did that myself, and as I intended all along this is meant to be more functional than good looking and I think that was accomplished!

Benny
Learn More...
United States
112066 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 777Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: