Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2021 D LSC With Nice Unlisted Shield DDR

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 405Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1877 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2021  4:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I got this for a few bucks off of eBay. It's got a nice spread on the south eastern side of the shield. I asked the seller and he said he hadn't submitted any and haven't found a listing for it either. What do you think?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5313 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1877 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2021  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dearborn here's a similar one listed on variety vista.

http://varietyvista.com/01e%20LC%20...1DDDR001.htm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1877 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It seems like you guys aren't sure about this die. It's clearly visible in the full coin photo and I've posted a similar die on vv. What's up? It's definitely a DDR. I know when you guys don't respond you don't think it's not a real deal coin. I'll send it to Wexler. I've got no problem spending $15 to get it authenticated. Just weird to me that it got no response?
Edited by Willburton
11/22/2021 6:35 pm
Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Decaf94drew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No one believed me look at my posts from a couple months ago that variety is shown as my first find :) didn't attribute cuz no one seemed interested....

Edited by Decaf94drew
11/22/2021 6:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1877 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks decaf. A lot of these guys are scared to say anything and be corrected. I'm not one of those. Definitely a medium to wide spread DDR. And the first in the shield series to show doubling on the outside of the shield.

Let's go guys what's wrong with this coin?
Edited by Willburton
11/22/2021 6:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3676 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another member sent me some of these to look at. I listed their example on my website: http://crdievarieties.com/doku.php?...21d1csddr001

Drew's is very similar but definitely a different die: http://goccf.com/t/409614&whichpage=2#3514801

See if yours matches either of ours. I'd use the die crack on the shield as it seems your coin has one as well.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1215 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, Will, I did not see you post this yesterday. I'm very familiar with the class 9 doubled dies but was not with this particular type on the shields until I came to this forum. Like Tanman's and others I've seen listed, this is a very similar doubling and looks good to me, nice find.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5313 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A lot of these guys are scared to say anything and be corrected.

Well, I'm not afraid to be wrong (I'm wrong a lot)
Gotta learn somewhere, somehow.
I'll be following this topic for a while. I'm just not that familiar with the very modern coins and their errors.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1877 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys. Dearborn and makescents I agree with you guys this is an odd/new form of DDR. And tanman I consider you the expert here on new doubled dies. I'll keep sn eye out for this listing and if not possibly send this coin to Wexlers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3676 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My concern with these at this point is the potential for your coin to be a third die with near identical doubling. That would be a little too coincidental for my liking, makes me queasy.

Are you able to match your coin to either of ours Will? Any notable die markers on your coin?
Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Decaf94drew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can garuntee its my variety....
Pillar of the Community
United States
1877 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes definitely his variety. Glad I could shed some light on it decaf! I would you rather get the credit for this die. Send it to Wexler if will cost around $15.
Edited by Willburton
11/22/2021 10:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2702 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  03:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just seeing this thread as well (Tues. early am) and suspect others will chime in when they come across it.

I gotta admit I was lost for a minute when you mentioned it was on the southeastern side of the shield and really visible on the full coin shots.

Isn't the doubling on the edge of the banner (or base of the stripes), over ENT?

That is a nice one for modern shield DDR's.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Edited by Petespockets55
11/23/2021 03:07 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55440 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or it could just be die polishing on that area? One way to tell is to examine device sizes with others on that area. Probably the ONE CENT would not tell if it is die polishing on that area, but the designers initials might give us a clue. If it were die polishing, then they could be bit smaller in size compared with other examples? Or it might be a DDR? Hard to tell for sure on this right now. You might submit first the images to John Wexler and see what he thinks?

When comparing images, you need to crop the outside boarders of the devices to something design definite.

On these, on the DDR, these devices are enlarged. Seems like to me these devices would be enlarged if it were hub doubling. But if the devices are smaller in size, (because they are raised) if die polishing happened on this area, the devices would be smaller than normal. So make side by sides that show the same out parts of the devices as a border, then but the examples of this coin. To see it they are smaller/larger than normal. If normal then it could be slight die polishing. If it is heavy die polishing then they would be smaller. If they are enlarged, that would tell me it is a doubled die. So you might try the suggestions I made first to see it what this is before you contact John Wexler? That way we an determine which way to go first.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 405Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: