Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Trite But I Still Feel Used And Abused! I Need A Shower!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 382Next Topic  
Valued Member
120 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  03:49 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dant5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Likes.

To ruin and or stain ones reputation for Instagram likes.

Photo thieves... my first encounter revealed itself this morning and, even though it is a little flattering (i must be taking good enough photos for them to be stolen), it also feels like being forcefully bent over a table to get, well, you know.

I guess I am gonna have to put watermarks all over my pics from now on and sacrifice my own likes to prevent thievery.

Like I said... trite... little... but still, I guess it is the "Principal" of the matter.

This will be a very memorable occasion in any regard... the thief couldn't even put the correct obverse with its reverse and this is the reason I am and not more upset than I might appear to be!

Have you had a similar issue and what did you do?

First pic is my original post. I posted a 1952 and 53 and thief took one of each and paired them up as one, lol

Edited by dant5150
11/24/2021 03:52 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3329 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  04:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have had my pics used on Ebay and also a coin clubs website.
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Valued Member
120 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  05:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dant5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have had my pics used on Ebay and also a coin clubs website.

Did you feel dirty because of it? I feel all icky, lol.

For the eBay stuff... Stock Photos... UGH & GACK! I know it is a convenience for them who do not deceive their buyers but for those who do... drawn and quartered, lol. Even using the term "BU" and sending a common "Uncirculated", ugh!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3329 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  06:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Did you feel dirty because of it?

Annoyed at the Ebay seller and I let him know.

The coin club had a member I knew and I mentioned it to him, but I wasn't too concerned.
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Learn More...
United States
35761 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  08:33 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A seller who uses your images can't possibly deliver the exact coins.
A buyer should notice this and initiate a return.
Not something you should get too upset about.
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Valued Member
120 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dant5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A seller who uses your images can't possibly deliver the exact coins.
A buyer should notice this and initiate a return.
Not something you should get too upset about.

I am fortunate that I did not become an eBay dealer so I don't know all the little tricks and shortcuts that I am sure are usable on the site for scam artists, but, it would make sense to me that if... a shady dealer had your money and marked your package not to arrive for a month plus, by the time you've made your claim, the dealer is gone and gone onto a new profile with your money that eBay would pay on their behalf, no?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8619 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Trite is right.
Have you been living on another planet?
You put it out there and this can happen, how can you be surprised?
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
120 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dant5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Have you been living on another planet?

No, and, if you wanna get snotty with me pal, we can have a go right now if you feel so inclined.

Quote:
You put it out there and this can happen, how can you be surprised?

Never said I was surprised and I am not surprised at your reply, good to know, won't be counting on your support nor offering it.

Quote:
Trite is right.

LOL. Your entire response here, almost as big of a as the thief who prompted the post in the 1st place.

Cheers to you!
Learn More...
Canada
9948 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They might be your photos, but remember, you don't own the copyright to them.

What you are creating is classified as "derivative works". You are, in essence, copying what the engravers and the Royal Canadian Mint hold the copyright to. You can take all the photos you want, of their "art" but you cannot claim copyright or gain financially from images of their coins. You could claim copyright, for example that groups of coins, or creating art using coins, by adding colour to coins or clusters of coins - like this: https://www.airdrietoday.com/commun...nies-2731293

See more at: http://www.mint.ca/store/mint/about...erty-1800010

FYI - should you want to claim copyright, using a coin from the Royal Canadian Mint, you have to use this form:
http://www.mint.ca/store/dyn/PDFs/R...ation_v1.pdf

Thus, if you put them on the internet, without any value added knowledge, then Fair Use applies.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
120 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dant5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:
Thus, if you put them on the internet, without any value added knowledge, then Fair Use applies.

If one takes a photo I took to claim it theirs for LIKES on some social media site, I will laugh a couple of cheeks off, but I will "go on the offensive" to help curb their irrational need to be someone they are not but as most of us know, thieves, once on a roll, don't stop where they think they might've liked to but could not.

If one takes a photo I took to claim it theirs to swindle someone out of their money, I couldn't stop them but I certainly could inform communities I am associated with that there is a thief, that I caught red handed in the cookie jar, that may potentially be a swindler and that maybe, just maybe they won't succeed at swindling anyone in the future if indeed they are.

I'm not a lawyer nor do I have any respect for 95% of the lawyers I've had the misfortune of encountering but I appreciate your reply and would likely need an interpreter to guide me gingerly through the all the legal jargon you have presented in your links, lol.

I'm more of a verbal brawler, lol, adding the message I got from the culprit for giggles.

*** Image removed by Staff - Please review the rules that you agreed to when you registered. This is a family friendly site, and our filters exist for a good reason.***
Pillar of the Community
Canada
626 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow...I don't know if the verbal assault was called for. If this happened to me, I wouldn't have been happy, but would have been a tad more polite.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17555 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  12:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

In the US at least he DOES own the copyright to the photo images.
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
Canada
9948 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  01:00 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In the US at least he DOES own the copyright to the photo images.

Do you fully understand the legal definition of Derivative Works (which is also applicable in the US)?

Regardless, the original poster is Canadian, and therefore, subject to Canadian Copyright laws, which for the designs on those coins, are owned by the Royal Canadian Mint. The RCM however, will only get snippy about it if someone is making a profit using images of their coins (not selling the coins themselves). I know all the coin catalogues and newsletter publishers have permission to publish images from the RCM.

FYI - this made the news several years ago: https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainme...ge-1.1166488

The album image is here: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...um-art.shtml

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
120 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  04:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dant5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wow...I don't know if the verbal assault was called for. If this happened to me, I wouldn't have been happy, but would have been a tad more polite.

Showing displeasure towards something or one can be tempered and it can also be a tongue in cheek stab in the back like one response to this post already.

DBM should have just came out direct and said I was whinebag baby that should grow some thicker skin but he didn't. I am not like who they are, afraid to say what they truly feel.

If a person is gonna take a fancy to trying to demean me or steal from me, I have come to be the sort who will not stand for that nor will I willingly bend over some table for some jerk to have their way with me.

If people wanna have a go at me, I could just laugh and walk away or I can stay and go toe to toe.

Being nice to my thief... do you really think that would have worked wonders for them? Gotta have a conscience first for that to work sorry to say. Thieves, liars and cheats don't listen to the little moral voice in their ear, otherwise, they wouldn't be the cruddy thing that they are.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4362 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  08:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You kind of are being whiny, you post something on the internet and anyone can use it. I did/do astrophotography as another hobby. I've sold majority of my photos and got published. I stopped posting on "social media" like Instagram/face book as anyone can steal your photo. At least with mine I made money from my hobby, it wasn't a random coin picture. Just use this experience as a lesson, don't post anything that you don't want stolen, copied. Not attributed to you.

Everything I post on social media (including here) is a very low resolution of the actual picture. If someone steals it, they stole a worthless copy. No need to get your panties all twisted up for 72 likes. My daughters selfies get hundreds more, It's the internet.
Edited by hfjacinto
11/25/2021 08:13 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17555 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The designs are owned by the Canadian Mint, but the copyright is on the photo image of the coins created by the OP, not on the design of the coins themselves.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 382Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: