Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1942 50 Grading Opinions?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 264Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
2094 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  07:59 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not sure how common die cracks were for this year but the legend is covered in them. Does this lower grade? If not I'm guessing EF40?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
41950 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks cleaned?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2094 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if it has old cleaning but under my scope there is no hairline scratches.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
905 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die cracks shouldn't effect grading. How could they be helped? I don't see much wear, I think EF40 is low. Some rim dings on the obverse, may make AU. Lets see what the others think.
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2094 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to say yes to cleaned, unless it was an acetone soak. Here is the sellers picture, looked better before they did what ever they did. Not sure acetone would have this kind of effect.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4039 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should all wait on "pginrh", the 50 cent guru, t chime in. During the war, steel was being used in the war effort, so they ran the dies until their last dying breath, so you see all kinds of die probs during the war years. I'm saying XF-45
Pillar of the Community
United States
5922 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do like the die cracks.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2094 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The V has the most die cracks, there is two die cracks that break off from the top of the V in VI and connect to the rim. They really must have worked these dies down, don't think I have seen a die crack this extensive before, at least in hand.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62876 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU-50 (Sheldon), unsure if cleaned.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1181 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
doesn't look cleaned to me; I'll say EF-45.
The die cracks certainly make it interesting
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2094 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If not clean it definitely had an acetone soak before being sent, as the sellers photos compared to coin in hand are fairly different. It's the same coin just more toning then is on the coin now.

Edit: I suppose it could just have to do with quality of photos.
Edited by Wrekkdd
11/24/2021 09:51 am
Valued Member
Canada
424 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinman91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF45 cleaned imo
There's always two sides to the coin if you have the patience to see. -Kathryn Budig
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1879 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
solid ef40
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2094 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would be happy at EF40 for the price. Haven't heard from the 50 cent guru but another coin I'm happy with:) I like the eye appeal and the giant die crack is a plus for me.
Valued Member
Canada
445 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pginrh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin . I would estimater XF45.. as stated above, in the WW2 war years the dies were used as long as possible. I am aware of 47 different 1942 Obverses with Die Cracks.. The Canadian Mint stated that 90 different Obverse dies were used in 1942 so over half were used until they showed visible die cracks. Zoell catalogued 10 of them in his Minor Catalogues..
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 264Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: