Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1977 Kennedy Half Dollar With Really Cool Struck Through Error If Not I'm Still Keeping It

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 269Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
59 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  01:28 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Shortee to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
If this isn't a strike through then I'm done lol I actually thought it was a piece of hair and kept trying to wipe it off till I got my camera on it. I would like to say thanks to certain person who I never caught their name Hopefully they are a member and happy holidays to everyone else

Edited by Shortee
11/25/2021 1:35 pm
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  02:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool coin. Struck throughs are incuse. I do not believe this is a struck through. I am leaning towards my first impression which is a result of PMD. There's no telling who, what, or how someone did to this coin, what they did, to make this neat design we are seeing. The impression, exactly at the point of where the raised neck design element joins the field of this coin, is totally unaffected (not distorted) which would have most likely occurred during the striking of this Half if it were a mint error. The cool looking 'thing' (for a lack of better words) is raised off of the surface and was done so by some some type of tool IMHO. It also impregnates the W of WE in a different manner than it appears on the profile of Kennedy. Unless this is a product of a damaged obverse die, which there would be other examples of that have never surfaced to my knowledge, I don't see anything else other than damage after it left the mint.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1019 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  02:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, this looks like PMD. The appearance of "pushed" metal would indicate this.
Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/382777
Interesting find - 1947 S over inverted S http://goccf.com/t/368005
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41979 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  04:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
21428 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  06:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes damage, but it does look kinda cool. Keep it if you want!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3634 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  07:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool. Looks like sewing machine damage

Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shortee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well if it was done on purpose they should have done it from his ear or nose or around his eye so he could have some bling or one of those monocle's Still have to finish cleaning it you couldn't even see the face of the coin and most of the back was covers in some gunk But thanks guys hv a good holiday
Edited by Shortee
11/25/2021 08:47 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62941 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guessing this must be damage as well.
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shortee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
4254 Posts
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shortee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Well maybe some one needs to tell google that it can only leave indentations For strike through error to occur and not protrude
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well maybe some one needs to tell google that it can only leave indentations For strike through error to occur and not protrude

There are two types of struck throughs. The first is exactly this. Something enters the striking chamber, the coin is struck, and it leaves an impression (incuse) in the surface of the coin. The other type is a retained struck through. This would be a foreign object struck into the surface of the coin and the object remains there, embedded into the coin. This is seen and commonly known as something like a retained struck through a staple (which has been determined not to be an actual staple but rather a small piece of brush wire resembling a staple). Your coin appears that metal has been "pushed "out of place as previously mentioned. It appears the area in question on your coin has this pushed metal at an upward angel in relation to the surface of your coin. I don't see how this could happen during the strike. The striking of a coin would leave a flat design due to the extreme downward pressure applied by the press. In addition, I don't see your coin having a reeded edge struck through simply due to the size of the damage. The line on your coin is tiny compared to any other denomination of reeded edging that I know of. Hope all this makes sense and sorry to get so long winded.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 269Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: