Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Member Seeking Knowledge On A 1948 Cad Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 411Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
113 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  10:41 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add westy00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi folks . I have recently acquired a collection of coins and am learning about the art of determination of grade. I have many decent coins and have searched for local grading but they are a couple hours away and I really don't want to ship or drop off the coins to be graded. Is it worth having them graded for resale ? Help . Here is a 1948 Canadian dollar for example . Thanks for your input.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10096 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fingerprints on obverse and reverse. Don't mess with that though. I believe this is a key date and valuable. Very nice as it is. Looks AU58 or MS63 to me.

to CCF
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
11/25/2021 10:49 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1794 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll go with MS-62, very valuable and sought after coin guessing $2,000.00+ Canadian.

Good Luck
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1181 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

MS-62/63.

With a key date like this I would have it graded.
Your best bet is ICCS; CCCS is another option
Valued Member
Canada
424 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinman91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely grade it. Au-ms62 imo. ICCS is my recommendation for Canadian submissions.
There's always two sides to the coin if you have the patience to see. -Kathryn Budig
Valued Member
Canada
113 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westy00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok so On the grading . Are you comfortable with sending it to the grader or walk it in ? Will they grade while you wait ? Am I too cautious ? What will they charge ?
Valued Member
Canada
424 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinman91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not familiar with walk in policies at ICCS although I'm sure some here are. I would Ofcourse recommend insurance if you choose to ship anywhere regardless. Standard grading fee for ICCS is about $20 per coin I believe plus shipping.
There's always two sides to the coin if you have the patience to see. -Kathryn Budig
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4039 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are in the T.O. area, I'd walk it in or come to one of the larger T.O. shows and auctions. They will start again in the Spring and Brian and/or his son are normally always there (Cornwell, owner of ICCS). If you want the most money for resale, try PCGS and there are 2 dealers at the large shows that pick up and deliver coins (valuable ones) for grading at PCGS. Witrh the dings and scratches on your coin, I don't think much above 61/62, but still a valuable and sought-after coin. At a large show, you will still see 7-8 of the 1948's for sale at dealer's desks.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1181 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
https://ICCScoin.ca/

I don't believe they do walk-in grading anymore, so your next best bet is next-day grading at $50,
But thats a 6-hour return drive for you...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4082 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your 1948 is a genuine , albeit slightly banged up 1948 .
The unsightly gash on the portrait and field area doesn't
Help . From the pix AU for sure , maybe MS60 on sight
seen . Send it to ICCS.
Valued Member
Canada
113 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westy00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input . I have quite a few coins to go through and most of my dollars are in this condition .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4039 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If "the rest" of your coins are not '48 dollars, then don't bother getting them graded. Unless a coin can actually be SOLD for more than $200, it doesn't pay to have them TPD'd.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1706 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you have a large collection, I would opt for the ICCS 100 coin deal at $7 per coin. At $7, many coins are worth grading. This might also make a day trip to Toronto to drop off and pick up worthwhile.

I would go to coins and Canada and pull out the key date coins assuming they are in decent shape. Watch out for signs of cleaning--parallel fine scratches from an abrasive cloth or cleaning solution. Also, more modern coins can be valuable of they are in top condition. If your benefactor had a 48 dollar in +/- MS60 it is entirely possible you will find top grades of more common dates.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1271 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a couple sites that will help you figure out value and condition.

Value: https://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php
Drill down to the ebay/auction prices part, that will give you the closest to what they actually sell for.

Condition: http://www.saskatooncoinclub.ca/art...ns-ver2.html
A useful site for grading with nice photos and descriptions

To grade/not grade. How do you plan to sell the coins? if going for a private sale/ebay, grading would likely be worth it for higher value coins $100+, if selling to a shop/dealer I wouldn't bother with grading, as they wont really value it.

ICCS is your low cost grading service, registered mail is a great way to send to them. PCGS is great from outstanding condition & high value coins. The 1948 dollar is a borderline for PCGS/ICCS in my opinion, has great value, but the condition on your coin is not great, so the added expense/hassle is probably not worth it. Take a look through and post some more pictures, this forum is great for providing good advice and thoughts.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 411Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: