Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Did This Person Just Get Scammed? (1921 Peace Dollar)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 327Next Topic  

Canada
13 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  4:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ty1995 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm no expert.. But this just looks all sorts of wrong. I could definitely be wrong though

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1921-Peace-...irect=mobile

Pillar of the Community
United States
677 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks genuine with a cleaning.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62876 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please tell us what you think looks suspicious.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9710 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...this just looks all sorts of wrong...

What do you see? I don't see anything that screams fake but all the partial images are frustrating to look through.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4082 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lightly cleaned , pedestrian example of a genuine
1921 Peace dollar at a so so price !
Your concerns specifically?
Canada
13 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty1995 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first 4 spikes on the crown are floating and aren't attached to the crown, and a lot of the "flat" parts? (Ex. top/ bottom of "E", top of"T") are wavy and not every straight (I know the Morgans had pretty straight lettering). And the "C" in "America" and first "E" in "Peace" looks like they had an intern come in and try a letter lol.
Also the nose doesn't seem to have the hump(?) in the middle and looks more smoothed out and straighter than the lower grade ones off ebay in NGC/PCGS holders I compared it to.

Maybe I'm just looking too hard and seeing things that aren't there.
I'm pretty new to this and just naturally skeptical when it comes to some things. But those floating spikes just don't sit right with me for some reason and the color just reminds me of fake Chinese toning.
But I guess I should consider the coin is 100 years old haha
Thank you for all the patience though
Edited by Ty1995
11/25/2021 10:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
677 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ty1995 I recognize what you're seeing, and I agree with that Chinese counterfeit look. That's why I said it was cleaned. It had some toning that was wiped, just like the Chinese fakes when they paint the coin, then wipe it off. This leaves the areas around the devices dark.
Canada
13 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty1995 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks I appreciate the answer! Plus I learned something new. I've always thought of cleaning as whizzing or polishing, but I guess it's pretty obvious there's a million ways someone might clean a coin now that I think of it.

Just trying to learn as much as I can so I don't get burned one day. I was thinking of getting a 2021 Peace dollar, but then I read the mint is going to be making a 2022 peace & morgan next year and the allure of the 2021 kinda faded.
So I figured I'd use the money I was going to spend on a 2021 and get myself a 1921 peace instead.
So I've been looking at 1921's the last week trying to learn about them and make sure I know what to look for before spending $100+ on one.And Unfortunately for me $100 doesn't come close to buying a slabbed 1921,so I gotta go raw lol
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  07:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pristine2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Honestly speaking the photo provides no information, other than that the coin is probably genuine. It simply lacks the quality and resolution to determine anything else.

The eBay listing it comes from, on the other hand, says a lot. In fact, it screams "stay away". The descriptive language is meaningless and laced with plausible deniability ("we know nothing you decide"). The photo of the coin on its side shows an ignorance, if not outright disrespect, for the hobby.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10888 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i agree the description appears to be written by someone that English is not their first language

though the coin appears to have been cleaned it may grade straight, however, with the description the way it is I would not be shocked that the photos were doctored in some manner. this one is buyer beware especially with no returns
Pillar of the Community
United States
899 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The REV lettering looks fishy to me...
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 327Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: