Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help With A Debate Regarding S Mint RPM On 1976 PF Kennedy Half Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 148Next Topic  
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  4:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sherrow01 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all & Happy Thanksgiving. Thank you for taking the time to look at my post and I appreciate any advice and opinions. I recently submitted a bulk order to NGC for grading, including a few 1976 Proofs; 5c, 50c, and 1c piece that I believe all have RPM's. All are S mint. The slabs came back with no determination that it was any such thing. I reached out to NGC and asked what I should do if I suspect an error had occurred while grading, maybe due to such high submission volumes and the fact that my order was sent in under the Express Tier (13 day turn around) Mistakes happen. I understand that. I received an email back that was short and, to be honest, slightly rude. NGC responded with "Our experts confirmed there is no error." So, with that all being said I would love to hear some of your inputs. I've uploaded a few pics of the Kennedy half dollar and the Jefferson nickel. Thanks again!

Pillar of the Community
United States
3620 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is believed that the mintmark punches used on the proofs in the 70s were the same ones used in the 40s and 50s, being the same sizes and fonts.

A lot of these punches began to break down and many proofs have marks on the mintmark that would appear like a RPM. These are just the result of broken mintmark punches. This is especially common on 1976 proofs where the upper right corner of the S appears to have a notch like a RPM.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41950 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Looks like a damaged mint mark punch to me,not a RPM. Wait for more members to chime in.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
21402 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sher, first welcome to CCF. Second, it seems like you are asking about the potential for mint errors rather than the grade so I have moved your thread to that subforum. Also, in general it is better to start a new thread for each new coin. In this particular case though, it seems like your question covers both equally so it is fine as-is.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sherrow01 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the "Welcome"s. This is my first time officially posting. However, this is my go-to site whenever I'm in need of some answers. Never fails. @Spence, thank you for the directions of the site, still learning how things navigate around here. @John1, I've heard of that before as well but didn't think of it until reading your post. I did a little research and so far that seems to be the most plausible explanation. Thank you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4193 Posts
Learn More...
United States
106502 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 148Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: