Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commercial Air Travel With Rare Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 445Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4270 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  3:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What the recommended way to transport coins and bullion during domestic air travel? I don't want them out of my possession, but don't want TSA snooping either.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1149 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's an excellent question. I don't think there is a good way. TSA could just confiscate them if they felt like it, right?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2523 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't want them out of my possession, but don't want TSA snooping either.

If I'm transporting bullion and/or collector coins, it'll be by car.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17687 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pack them in your carry on, and schedule a private inspection with the TSA. That will prevent any loud mouth XRAY tech from announcing to the world you are carrying coins, and the coins will not leave your possession while they are being inspected. I'm not sure if you would talk to the TSA to arrange this, or the airline you are traveling on but I know it is possible.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2706 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's expensive, but another option is booking a seat on a corporate jet. There are quite a few companies that book seats on corporate flights or empty leg seats for corporate empty-cabin return trips.

We always drove, and used rental cars when we reached the destination city for extra safety at the shows. We usually parked at airports and rented cars at the airports.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1920 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Check jdmern's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jdmern to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Make sure you hand carry as carry on luggage. Most of the time, because coins look pretty odd in the X-Ray, they will need to check further. When they go to open bag, just request a private inspection and they will do their examination in a private room.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4227 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed , private inspection is your right and the best way to handle it .
Tell no one what you do and never ever let your bag out of your sight .
When I buy in Europe I often have packages sent insured
rather than carry them home .
Edited by Pacificoin
11/26/2021 7:46 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 445Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: