Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Standard Envelope "Delivered" - Buyer Claims Inr

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 497Next Topic  
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  02:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jfrederick to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
10/16/21 - Sold a coin for $11.
10/17/91 - Shipped coin using eBay Standard Envelope.
10/21/21 - Coin marked by USPS as "delivered."
10/22/21 - Buyer sends message through eBay saying coin not received.
- Exchange of multiple messages with buyer over the next few days -
11/26/21 - Buyer sends message saying coin still not received; asks for refund.

I'm not a big-time seller, and am a bit torn over how to respond. If the buyer legitimately has not received his coin I am sympathetic. However, having come across enough shady buyers already, I'm reluctant to outright refund the buyer given its "delivered" status in tracking. The buyer himself even stated that some "strange" things have been happening at his local USPS office. I do plan on filing an insurance claim, as eBay Standard Envelope service allows, but have my doubts that it will be granted due to the tracking status.

Before I respond, I thought I'd ask - "What would you do?" or "What have you done?" if you've had a similar experience?

Thanks!

Poll Choices
  File ins claim; refund buyer only if claim is granted.
  Refund buyer; file ins claim and keep fingers crossed.
  Advise buyer to open an INR case through eBay.
  None of the above - I will explain in a reply.

Edited by jfrederick
11/27/2021 02:55 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
6755 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  06:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An important factor that would influence my approach would be the value of the item in question--$4 or $400?. Also, does the buyer have a long record of consistently high feedback, or...?

Edit -- Now I see it, $11 sale.
Edited by ijn1944
11/27/2021 09:05 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3598 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect the buyer would need to open an INR case before eBay would cover it through their insurance or via seller protection. But it's probably too late for the buyer to open a case, now past 30 days from the documented delivery date. Since it was only $11, I would probably just refund him and call it a day, unless you suspect fraud or bad faith.
Valued Member
United States
230 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1847bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The buyer needs to open an INR. They will probably lose because it shows delivered. I had the same thing happen. Buyer said he has informed delivery notification for viewing what was delivered to his post box. I told him to file a case with eBay. Instead a few days later he said it was finally delivered. What the truth is I'll never know. The insurance is ebay's problem though. Let them deal with it.
Valued Member
United States
418 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would make the "polite assumption" that the buyer didn't receive the item and refund, especially given the small amount involved. Not worth the loss of goodwill. I live in SoCal and we have a lot of mailbox thefts as well as porch pirates.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6755 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree--considering the relatively small $$ amount involved, I'd go the refund route.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4143 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Says delivered you are not obligated to refund and Shouldn't .
Let him deal with Ebay AFTER OPENING an INR .
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  01:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfrederick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you to all who provided input. The end result: I filed an insurance claim through eBay, which (surprisingly) was approved. As I was able to get reimbursed, I fully refunded the buyer. And then blocked him, just in case.
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2021  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jerry Picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it says it was delivered, you have no obligation. I've won a case like this with ebay.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 497Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: