Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Requesting Intelligent, Well-Thought-Out Opinions IHC

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,185Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
4600 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see nothing other than a worn IHC.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  12:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StarredAndFeathe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If there is something(s) along the way that I have missed, I would really like to hear more. I seriously tried to apply logic to this.

1) From what I have read, 'striking' is a little bit of a misnomer, in that while that is what the dies do the effect that is produced on the planchet is more akin to squeezing. Anything already on the planchet does not get obliterated. It doesn't work that way. Each strike or squeeze reconfigures the surface....anything previous is incorporated into what comes next. So, you have a situation where any given design is made up of a combination of relief and incuse aspects. Let's say you strike 10 different designs onto a planchet, one on top of another and at different orientations. From a forensic standpoint, especially when you make a photographic enlargement of the planchet, there may well be enough remainders of the first design to be able to identify what it was. The higher the relief, the more difficult it is to eliminate ALL traces, even after a bunch of successive overstrikes. Is that not so?

2) Pareidolia....seems much more vague than what's on this coin. See below for a photo I took about 5 years ago. Someone could say, Native American angel! No. It's a cool photo, but it's just clouds.

3) Can anyone show me any other coins that look very close to what appears on this one? I have studied quite a number, including Indian Heads, with mighty similar level of weathering and have seen nothing anomalous on them whatsoever.

4) I have tried to be very thorough and consider other aspects, such as where I found the coin. In the 1860s, the property was owned by a man named Chauncey Millspaugh. During that same time, the assayer at the New Orleans Mint was Howard Millspaugh. A couple of other guys with that last name were also involved with high-end coin collecting at the time. It's not exactly a common name like Smith or Jones. Finally, in the town where the property is located, there is an old legend of a silver mine having existed somewhere in the town. Well, it just so happens that approximately 300 feet from where I found the coin, I found a chunk of ore....galena with a fairly high silver content. See photo below. It's the only piece that has been found thus far to suggest the possibility of truth to the legend.

Put this all together and it's a bit intriguing.

So....all nothing but a 'coin'cidence?

Pillar of the Community
United States
986 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  02:08 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The story is entertaining, but it continues inside a deep rabbit hole. Not only are you betting that a select few men had a coin collection, you are betting they had impossibly made patterns and were careless enough to lose their precious coins in the yard. You are better off finding a 1909-S VDB coin roll hunting.

Quote:
Can anyone show me any other coins that look very close to what appears on this one?

Quote:
I have studied quite a number, including Indian Heads, with mighty similar level of weathering and have seen nothing anomalous on them whatsoever.

Are you saying that all of your corroded cents look exactly alike? The reason yours is unique is because the environment has affected the coin's surface in a random fashion. No two corroded cents are exactly alike...

You should keep the coin because it is a good storyteller. Plus, you found it metal detecting which is awesome in itself. Good luck with the hunt!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1126 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't mind you jacrispies using my 1877, so feel free to use my images to keep the education ball rolling ...
Pillar of the Community
United States
628 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, you are looking at a newspaper and trying to convince everyone it's the Mona Lisa.

This coin is well worn, do you really think that it was struck uniquely, then circulated this much? There is absolutely nothing known to exist the way you describe what you see. I know that eyes tend to see what the brain wants them to see, it's happened to me (probably most of us here at some point). Unfortunately, you have a well worn Indian Head cent, nothing more and nothing less. That being said, any found Indian Head cent is really cool in its own merit and definitely worth keeping! Keep looking for more too! They are out there, even the rare dates are in the ground!

I know my opinion may not be considered DECENT, but you have to take reality with the imaginary.
Edited by RedRaider
11/28/2021 08:58 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
556 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  09:09 am  Show Profile   Check Billie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Billie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Decent? Really? I did see Jesus in a tortilla once tho...
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20560 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I wouldn't even bother trying to figure out anything about that coin. Just to beat up.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2590 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is an online reference guide that explains the possible striking errors. This guide has been created by the giants in the field, the experts who have identified and handled tens of thousands of error coins. I invite you to match your coin to one of these errors.

I can only offer that I have been a coin collector for more than 50 years and a coin dealer for more than 45 years. I just retired this past month. Based on that experience, I do not see any possible way your coin could exhibit any of the issues that you describe. It simply is a badly worn, corroded IHC.
Pillar of the Community
United States
986 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  10:18 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't mind you jacrispies using my 1877, so feel free to use my images to keep the education ball rolling ...

I don't have any of my coins in front of me, so I did a quick google search for metal detecting finds. Nice 1877!!
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StarredAndFeathe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, 'nuff said.

For the record, neither the coin nor the chunk of ore were found with a metal detector. We had large gardens and both were turned up with a rototiller. The coin was actually sitting flat on top of the ground, indicating it had been turned up during the previous tilling session and hadn't happened to be noticed at that time....probably because the soil had been darker from dampness and then the top dried out and lightened.

Hmm....maybe noticing something man-made amidst all of the rocks, even though it was that small, has the flip side of seeing something man-made that isn't?

Oh well, in any case I will leave the rabbit hole behind and move on.

Thanks for the replies.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3997 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW .... Rototilling for coins! Gotta dig this unique method of collecting. The mind reels!!

Learn More...
United States
108406 Posts
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,185Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: