Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1874 Three Cent Nickel

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 679Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1130 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  10:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Morning all.
Not my photos but curious your thoughts on this one?
I will take more when it arrives but curious how you see it.
The mark on the obverse is on the holder near the T
Make mid AU? from what you can see anyways.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64386 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU-55, but my opinion on these is worth next to nothing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1130 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Coinfrog and I realize the pics are not so great.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8527 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful strike on the reverse with great detail on the III. The obverse shows all distinct beads on the coronet, but the hair is weak everywhere. The weak hair along with the mark on the top of the head/hair under the O in OF would make me rule this one out for me. AU sounds right but with problems.
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Pillar of the Community
United States
3287 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU Details scratched
Valued Member
United States
456 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Check pristine2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pristine2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry but I don't think it quite makes AU, though of course the pic doesn't show luster that may actually be there. If the coin has nice original luster, then we can assume any missing detail is due to a soft strike.

But without that luster, there's to much hair detail missing on the obverse, I think, to grade above XF45. The small flat spots on the reverse columns are acceptable in AU, but the leaves are very weak. Could be the pic I suppose, but some mid-ribs appear to be entirely gone. If so, that puts it in VF35/XF40 territory.

In lieu of better photos, I'd call it XF40.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1130 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Slider where are you seeing a scratch large enough to detail it?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1130 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hoping with the bad pics there is more luster the shows on the high spots. The nick below the O doesn't bother me on such a small coin.
I decided to take a chance so paid 50.00 I think that is fair regardless.
Valued Member
United States
456 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Check pristine2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pristine2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see a details-worthy scratch. That deep ding by the bonnet gave me more pause than the gouge, which may not even be PMD.

I think you're okay at $50.
Edited by pristine2
11/27/2021 3:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8608 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Au for now, looking forward to see it with better holders, that nick under the O is concerning me.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, C4, & NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3565 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tough one for sure with these pics, especially through the flip. I have a slight pause with the darker reverse spots. Also, weakness in the wreath leaves at K9, strike weakness or possible removed corrosion? I'll await in hand pics, but I can see XF-AU, hopefully with no problems.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2590 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a different concern about this coin. The raised bumps in the hair near the ribbon and knot, around the date and UNITED, and above the second column (between the top leaves) on the reverse don't look like a pitted die. The obverse details look inconsistently soft.

There is a known spark erosion die-struck counterfeit of this date. I've heard of them appearing in copper, nickel-plated copper, and other random metals.

I sure hope it's genuine, and I'm not at all sure it isn't. The surface looks like cupro-nickel, rather than the known fake metals. The raised lumps made me pause, though.
Valued Member
United States
446 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm inclined to call this XF. I think there is more of a wear issue rather than just a weak strike. The raised pimples are cause for concern and certainly raises a red flag. Obverse has a mushy look to me. Are there any signs of clashing which is so common with this series?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1130 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it will be interesting to see this one in hand. My feeling is it will look better than the pics indicate but only time will tell.
I think the pimple looking areas are on the holder as you can see them on the holder where the coin is not.
We will see. I think for 50.00 it was worth the gamble.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1130 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2021  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin looks quite nice in hand for 50.00
Some clashing as well.

Valued Member
United States
446 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2021  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still at XF on this. The columns on the reverse have too much wear to justify an AU grade and the obverse isn't just weakly struck, there are flat spots caused by wear. Where did the die crack from the second T in STATES to the denticles disappear to?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 679Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: