Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2021 D Crossing The Delaware Struck Through

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 396Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
847 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  11:51 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This one looked like it was struck through a fiber but after looking at the first picture it looks like it may have been struck through a piece of reeding. The anomaly has repeated peaks and valleys that could possibly be the tops of the reeds from a detached or dropped piece. It may be a stretch but looks like it to me. Any comments or opinions on what this could be would be great. Thanks

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5301 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It could also be contact marks from a reeded coin was well. (the one that runs NW/SE.
Not sure bout the one that runs NE/SW could be a thread strike through.
Pillar of the Community
United States
847 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dearborn. Initially I was thinking thread but the first pic made me think twice. Would this be large enough to have graded or is it not worth it? I can't get an idea of scale to see if this would be too small to be reeds also
Learn More...
United States
21955 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good question @rw. My impression is that the short linear mark parallel to George's neck is damage, but I'm on the fence as to the longer, perpendicular linear mark. I suppose it could be struck through something, but circulation damage seems equally likely. I'm interested to see where we net out on this one.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
847 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Spence. Among the many things I've learned from Coop and many others here is condition is key. This came from an uncirculated roll so circulation damage is possible but not likely. The short one may be a contact mark
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55406 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. It looks like a struck thread/lint. If the coin is in great condition, it would be a keeper. But if other damage is present, it would lower the premium for this coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
847 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coop. I'm no grader but I would say ms67 or 68? Maybe maybe not. Nothing in the fields but another strike through.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55406 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep in mind, contact marks reduce the grade, sometimes a lot. Taking images in the 2X2 sometimes makes for issues with reflection and sometimes makes a coin look better than it really is. But keep in safe for now. Just for future images, the images should be taken before being put into the 2X2.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21586 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm no grader but I would say ms67 or 68?

Sorry, but not even close in my opinion. There's marks all over it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
847 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coop and bobby131313. That's why I don't search for the super high grades. Errors are less subjective. I was more wondering if something like this is even worth grading. I looked on ebay and couldn't get an idea of value. I know it's not high value but it's uncirculated. I would think it's worth it but I could be wrong
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64232 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even in these washed-out pics there are many visible marks, even more so in your close-ups. For an accurate grade, please provide pics with less glare that show surface details clearly.
Edited by Coinfrog
11/28/2021 6:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
847 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Coinfrog. I'm not worried about the grade I was asking if it's worth having it slabbed for the error
Learn More...
United States
21955 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think worthy of a 2x2, but not a slab.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
847 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These pics were not from a 2x2 it was a plain white background with bad lighting. I can take better ones tomorrow in natural light. I just snapped these photos when I found it
Pillar of the Community
United States
847 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Spence. That'all I was wondering. I didn't know if it was worth it or not
Pillar of the Community
United States
847 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Updated pictures

Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 396Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: