Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

American Innovation $1 Coin Proof Set Plastic Case

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 334Next Topic  

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  12:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add conradcjc to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The holder that the American Innovation coins come in from the US Mint. Can that case be opened or is it sealed shut?
Learn More...
United States
21980 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@con, just to be clear, are you asking if the mint packaging can be opened without damage and then re-sealed?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add conradcjc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is correct.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5328 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Generally not. the cases are sonically sealed. that means that the plastic of both halves melt together to seal the case. I have 'cracked' out many mint sets and every time the case broke into little fragments. Hence the term 'Cracked' when referring to opening the mint cases.
Edited by Dearborn
11/27/2021 2:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5328 Posts
Learn More...
United States
21980 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok yes then I agree with @dear. I believe that once you open up the mint "slab", you won't be able to re-close it satisfactorily.
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1337 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgfindring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not true at all. Many years ago they were sonically sealed, but haven't been for at least the last 15 years or more. For all of the innovation dollars prooof sets up until this year I bought two sets, one to keep whole and the other to put indidually in a Dansco album. I then took a set of four reverse proofs and put back in the empty mint holder since the mint didn't do the reverse proofs as a set. The mint case easily comes open with no damage.
Currently working on:
Australia type set
Canada type set
Three from each country (up to 416!)
UK 20th and 21st century
IHC's! NGC certified MS-62 or better, Capital Plastics Fine or better, Dansco Fine or better, Dansco any x3, and Coin Board for wall display, any grade. (I may be a tad obsessed)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1337 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgfindring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Crappy photo, but enough to tell what I mean
Currently working on:
Australia type set
Canada type set
Three from each country (up to 416!)
UK 20th and 21st century
IHC's! NGC certified MS-62 or better, Capital Plastics Fine or better, Dansco Fine or better, Dansco any x3, and Coin Board for wall display, any grade. (I may be a tad obsessed)
Edited by jgfindring
11/27/2021 6:27 pm
Learn More...
United States
21980 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok very interesting to know @jgf. I would say that my mint sets are more than 15 years old as this isn't an area of active collecting for me anymore. Thx for setting us straight!
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add conradcjc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the info on this topic. It helped me out a great deal.
Valued Member
United States
439 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I had purchased all of the modern silver proof sets for breakout into my various albums. I was really pleased with how easy it was to open the lenses without any damage. Now I have a whole pile that can be used for something. Only problem is finding some material to use as a core and punching the correct size holes for the intended coins. I recently reused one case to house some Seated Liberty Series coins with special holes for the half dime and Twenty Cents. The lenses separate easily with a small knife blade and a prying motion.
Learn More...
United States
108260 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jgfindring is correct. The lenses have been easy to open and closer for a while now, I would say more than twenty years instead of 15 because I do not recall ever having an issue with any of the Statehood Quarters.

For what it is worth, the same lenses were used in the Prestige sets that ran from 1983-1997. These lenses were snapped into a pretty frame, but it call could come apart and go back together with no effort. So while the normal proof sets at that time were sealed, the Prestige sets were not (at least the ones I have, I do not have them all).
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 334Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: