Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1966 LMC. Question About Clash.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 721Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
1264 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  5:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Shouldn't this be facing the other way in bay 9?
Sorry for extra pictures.

Learn More...
United States
22048 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it should, unless one side was rotated around when the dies clashed. I'm not sure that this is what you've got here so I'm interested to see what others think.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
3681 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is a normal die clash, just misaligned a good bit. The diagonal line below the memorial is the bridge of Lincoln's nose.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5450 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
528 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Somethings not right. Even rotated that wouldn't line up. Looks like there could be a clash at his throat on the obverse also. Hard to tell. Let's see what others say. Still learning here.
Discovering the truth does not have all the answers.
Edited by VestigeWolf
11/27/2021 9:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3681 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Offset/misaligned not rotated.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1245 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As Tanman said, offset. I have found many clashes and don't know if any were perfectly rotated or aligned as the "picture perfect" overlays show but have found a pile of offset/misaligned die clashes.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
United States
585 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  01:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is just a regular clash. You are looking at it backwards. Hard for me to explain, but the clash is from the lines in bay 8 & 9 going west, not east. The top line is his neck and the bottom line is his mouth. And as Tanman says thats the bridge of his nose under the memorial.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42860 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  04:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a MAD clash http://www.maddieclashes.com/
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1264 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Tanman. Flipping overlay in correct position the bridge does line up. But seems like other issues don't.
There's an overlay showing nose bridge and neck lining up.
@VWolf. The obverse does have clashes. Didn't want to overload with more pictures and questions. Thought once we figured out the reverse I'd post pictures and questions for obverse.

I know as we all do it's different with coin in hand from looking at pictures.
There's actually more clash issues on reverse but probably 5+ pictures and some difficult to get a clear shot.

I might be seeing things that's not there. ( I can't think of the word ).

But. Here goes. Arrows pointing close as I could with fat and shaky finger.
Picture (A) is my original coin. (B) is with overlay.
Blue arrow part of eye. Red parts of nose. Pink neck. Brown collar and tie.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
528 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting! Good job but I'm still confused. The clash is 180 degrees?
Discovering the truth does not have all the answers.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55503 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dies are turned 180 degrees from each other on a U.S. coins. They don't have medal alignment.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
585 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As I said above, this is just a regular clash. In order for it not to be, one of the dies would have had to have been installed 180 deg out. Then somehow the clash happened with the dies misaligned by3 or 4 millameters to one side. Even if one was 180 deg out this clash would be in bay 3 and 4. Ya and I can't remember the word for seeing things that are not there, but a classic case.
Edited by Cujohn
11/28/2021 4:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1264 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hesitate to ask. This is the last question.

On Maddieclashes.com MAD number MDC-1C-1997-02. If it can happen like this. Why couldn't it go just a little farther?
Just curious and need some learning.

Thank you all for your input. Rob.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42860 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How funny,that's my coin http://www.maddieclashes.com/mdc-1c-1997-02/
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
585 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That clash is right, coin alignment. Your's is medal alignment. You are right about the distance it is off, I don't see how that clash could be that far to the west. I wouldn't think they would have that much adjustment on the machine, and I don't think dropping a die on another one would result in that much damage to the die.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 721Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: