Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1919 D Merc Dime, Thoughts

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 290Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
487 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  10:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Interested to hear thoughts on this new auction win. Is it FB? Would it straight grade (reverse scrape) and what grade do you think? An AU FB 19 D would be quite a score. I wonder how long this die lasted considering all the obverse die cracks.

My picture taking seems to be going the wrong direction, but this is what I could get.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19359 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although under high magnification, the bands appear to be separated, there is nevertheless obvious wear in these areas.
For Fully Split Bands, the top of the bands should appear like the top of the old style loaf of bread, without any wear.
Therefore, not FSB unfortunately.

Die crack features add more interest.
The working dies that produced this coin were near the end of their life.
Design detail in areas less exposed to wear are a tad fuzzy, and there is metal flow on the outer edges of the lettering.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The master dies for Mercury dimes in 1919 were reasonably fresh, and so split bands on early date Mercury dimes in MS-60 or above are not so scarce, if the working dies that struck the coins are also reasonably fresh.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64374 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU-58 on this. Interesting die cracks.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16518 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm , I don't see any die cracks but I do see scratches on both sides along with a nasty rim hit on reverse . Nowhere near FSB or FB . AU-58 possibly details .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
8527 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
58fsb
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Pillar of the Community
United States
1134 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU58. I agree not even close to FSB.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3561 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU 58, no FB, likely Details. Look to be a decent number of diagonal hairlines on the obverse (coupe be the pics).
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11220 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU details no FSB
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 290Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: