Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2018 P Dime DDO-Ddr?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 357Next Topic  

United States
49 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  02:41 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Frankie20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everybody. So I watched took some of your advice on sites to watch or read to become familiar with coin "irregularities". I looked numerous examples of MD vs. DD. Coop's examples were especially helpful. At first, I was more confused than ever and thought, " I am never gonna get this". So, I have been studying this dime and although there may be some Machine Doubling, I think there is more DD. Let me know please if I'm still not getting the difference. These pics are probably not the best. Still working on that too. Thanks.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
42766 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  04:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not seeing doubling with these photos. Too much glare and out of focus,sorry.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
21980 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  06:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@frank, as these pics become quite pixelated when I try to enlarge them can you tell us which design elements are doubled with the coin in hand? Is it the date? IGWT? PLURIBUS? The ear? Or all of them? Please give us a little direction. Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Frankie20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry. The pics definitely are not very helpful. I was trying to show that when looking straight on at the coin, the edges of the date and lettering are rounded with a darker shade on the edge, and then at an angle or closer up, doubling can be seen. Looking straight on at the coin itself, there are no "shelves". DD increases the size and MD decreases aspects of the date and lettering. Correct? With MD the "shelf" on the edge should have no shading difference. Is that correct or am I still confused? I thought I was beginning to understand. Maybe not. I showed the ear because I see an extra line following the shape of the ear. I really need to figure out how to "fix the pix" though.
Thanks for the help and your patience while I try to learn.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5328 Posts
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Frankie20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just trying to post better pics. Any better?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
42766 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why does the obverse pic look copper?
John1
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Frankie20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John1. I take numerous pics and try to edit and resize for the clearest ones. Sometimes, that means going back at a different time of day when the lighting is different. The actual shade of the dime on the obverse is the same one as the reverse. Sorry about that. Is the clarity any better? I'm trying out a different editing app. The "free image optimizer" offered here on coin community, although appreciated, is difficult for me to use.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42766 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMHO, a bit too much glare and a bit out of focus.As to color,best to post color as close to the real coin color because that dime looking copper makes me think it was missing a clad layer.
John1

Edited by John1
11/29/2021 1:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8175 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Practice your coin photography before posting and only show us sharp, clear images. If you need help, there is a whole section here on CCF devoted for coin photography. Please, no screen shots, they are too pixelated to use and show us nothing. Coin photography isn't easy, but once you get it down you'll have great photos. As far as studying doubled dies, have you looked at past posts here in the error and variety threads, again here on CCF? Lots and lot of great examples therein. Bonne chance!
ša va bien aller

United States
49 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  03:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Frankie20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your instruction and advice is appreciated. The pics, except for the shading, always look sufficient and even excellent on this end, but based on the feedback I'm getting, the quality of the pics are lost when I post them. Apologies. As far as not posting pics until I am able to post better pics, well the dilemma is that I don't know that I haven't mastered the presentation until they reach you, because they do look clear on this side. I do click preview before I post. Frustrating.

I am trying to become more proactive on learning the intricacies of identifying errors and anomalies so that I can weed out some of the unremarkable. I have found some coins that I think are worthwhile, but I will work on better pics before I post.
Thanks again.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 357Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: