Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1982 D SD Zinc Lincoln Cent.errors?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 405Next Topic  
Valued Member
79 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  04:31 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PurloinedCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Anybody see anything on this? Weighs 2.85 and of course I think I see stuff but I've been batting 0-1000 this whole time. So any help would be great..thank u!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
42686 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  04:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tell us what you see,in detail and post in focus photos please.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
21910 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  06:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your fifth pic might show a small die crack from the upper left corner of the Lincoln Memorial to the letter E. It doesn't appear on the other pics so might be nothing. Best is to tell us what you see with the coin in hand though so we aren't guessing. Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
79 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  06:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PurloinedCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right on..ill retake them and see if I can get a better focus. Thx!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6642 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  07:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So far, I believe it's a zinc core small date '82 D with a hint of obverse Die Deterioration. Possible die cracks coming off the memorial building.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5250 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
7651 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some help:
Save Yourself time, effort, and disappointment...don't learn the coin hobby backwards.

Looking for random anomalies on coins and hoping they match up to something collectable will take you a lot more time, wasted effort, and disappointment repeatedly finding out you have nothing but post mint damage.

Spend some initial time at places like error-ref.com, doubleddie.com, varietyvista.com, conecaonline.org, coppercoins.com etc. to find what actual and collectable coin errors look like.

A good way to start is, for instance, separate a bunch of pennies by date. Go to varietyvista.com and, date by date, use the reference there to see what errors are known for that specific coin/mint mark. Look for those specific errors/varieties using the pictures provided. After doing this for awhile you will KNOW what an actual error looks like and not have to waste time on face value and damaged coins.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8108 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Earle42 offers sound advice, which I'll second. In addition to the reference sites mentioned, you can spend some time looking back through posts written here on CCF. You can search either by topics here in the Errors and Varieties or the CCF site as a whole, text boxes are in the upper left hand of every page here. OR you can learn various numismatic terms that will help you in your journey with coins. Please feel feel to ask questions of us, we really don't mind. But yes, trying to learn things backwards by guessing will drive you crazy. The important thing to remember is, not all coins are error coins, errors on coins are rare! Bonne chance!
ša va bien aller

Edited by merclover
11/29/2021 02:49 am
Valued Member
79 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  12:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PurloinedCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I havent seen Earle? On my posts before so I DO appreciate his advice, BUT I already do all of the types of studying he mentioned..my past 2 or 3 posts were just open assessment toss ups because I wanted to see how far off my internal diagnosis were..just wanted to take a break from posting them for a second..missing totally so often is disheartening
Pillar of the Community
United States
2583 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  03:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i use manual focus on my camera for sharper pictures.

still learning myself
Valued Member
United States
250 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  06:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parnelli917 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Purloinedcoins, given your title and description I assumed you were zeroing in on the rare and valuable, bronze 1982-D, small date. I get excited when I find an '82 small date, let alone a Denver small date. Find one with a weight higher than zinc, and the horses start rearing! However, even with the first blurry photos and weight posted, I was convinced it was zinc. Unfortunately, there are quite a few small dates in bronze and zinc and quite a few Denver minted cents. Finding the combination of all the right characteristics is well... rare. Keep looking!
Valued Member
79 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PurloinedCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanx guys!!
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 405Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: