Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1976 Lincoln Penny-Lines?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 403Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
62 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  10:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RoscoeCham to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can someone tell me what made these steaks please... Thanks!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57330 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are called rolling lines of the stock material seen on the copper planchets more on the 1970's/80's cents. These are the rolling lines on the metal that show up after the BU look disappears from the coins. They are only surface lines. They eventually wear off the coin on the higher locations first, then then the fields. Not to be confused with woody coins. They are only surface. On the woody coins the poor mixture affects the whole planchet all the way through. Even on worn coins if the woody look was there from day one, they will still show on worn examples.

These rolling lines can be seen even on the zinc cents as well. Even the striking doesn't remove them:

So when the BU goes away expect to see these slowly wear off these coins as well.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RoscoeCham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much! Amazing information... Much approximated!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57330 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always nice to see a visual view. Words get lost in usage, seeing is understanding for me.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
United States
8370 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Plus, the roller lines on the surface can be rubbed off.
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7341 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57330 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mike Diamond mentioned these are like printing on to the coin. On the highest devices they do wear off. Eventually they will all go away as they are just surface lines. Circulation wear will remove them They are not like woody appearances. Woody is all through the planchet/coins material because of a poor mix of metal. These are just surface lines left by the rolling process of the stock metal.
Richard S. Cooper

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 403Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: