Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Draped Bust 1804 Half Cent Spiked Chin Crosslet 4 No Stems Please Help Grade And Appraise

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 967Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  2:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dustind58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Learn More...
United States
112343 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67786 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Second pic suggests VF sharpness, first pic suggests cleaned.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
11/29/2021 3:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
545 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnjkedel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well .. it is my understanding that all spiked chin varieties of the 1804 have stems. This one does not. Also there are several other inconsistencies which lead me to believe it is not a spiked chin - at least the reverse is not. ( IMO )
Pillar of the Community
United States
2136 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm suspicious. Shouldn't there be a raised dot in the center of the reverse?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8004 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely cleaned.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
1534 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I say this coin is a counterfeit for many reasons, but mainly the details and font are wrong. There are raised elements in the fields, and some of the letters aren't completely filled.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5606 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse font makes me think it's fake. I'd stay away from this one if you don't already own it.

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Coins, Varieties, and Colonial Coinage
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67786 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, a doubtful-looking coin.
Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sir Derrin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weight would be helpful... gut said fake at first glance... looks more bronze then copper...
Pillar of the Community
United States
3720 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely a counterfeit. The date and reverse do not match the only crosslet 4, stemless variety of that date.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9805 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree it appears to be a replica piece worth a $1 or $2.
ANA #R3154474
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10280 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1804 Spiked Chin always fascinated me. I don't think this is a real one.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4028 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would agree with the upthread. One look fake. Fonts are all incorrect and inconsistent.

Hopefully you didn't pay much for it!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7735 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  05:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF. Appears our experts have doubts on authenticity.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5511 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something's wrong.
It doesn't match any variety that I can identify.
Close to a C-12 -- but not.

Fake?
Or ... a new variety?!
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 967Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: