Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Purchased This Lot Need To Know If The Fake 8R Is Contemporary

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,291Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
169 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  04:15 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add windweaver77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Whatever it is made of it rings like silver? Just not .903

Sounds closer to 50% by my ear.
It is definitely not a new Chinese fake.
1840 D with a . Not an o.

I pinged it and it does not ping right, butbot definitely rings.
Any help would be appreciated because I don't have long to return it. If it is a cool contemporary fake I might keep it.

Thabks guys!!!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
44602 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  04:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Weight? Make sure to flatten those staples. You don't want to damage other 2x2 when stacked. Also, what did you pay for each?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  04:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add windweaver77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It weighs 26.5 grams.
I paid $38 for the lot.

The columbian exposition coin is 100% real. Ping frequency is perfect. The 8R is not real. Does not pass the ping test, but definitely sounds lile silver.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  04:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add windweaver77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I put paper in between pages to prevent damage. I wish I had known that trick years ago, I can tell ya that.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
44602 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  06:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can also try the tissue test to see if a coin is silver or not. The best way to test it is with a XRF machine.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add windweaver77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The tissue test is not conclusive. It is similar in appearance to a Spanish 8R and the columbian half. I rang the 8R I know to be real vs this one. They both ring long and hard. The fake has a higher pitch, but resonates well.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add windweaver77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ttsDNaJWx7M

Ok I did the tissue test and pinged in this video.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add windweaver77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Better photos now that I am home from work.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add windweaver77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I rang it to a 50% Canadian dollar. Very close sound. This thing is definitely silver. 40% or higher, by my ear.

Does that make it a contemporary fake, is the question. Do we have a resident expert about this stuff?
Valued Member
United States
463 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would never "ping" test my coins like that.

I am cringing.
Edited by NumismaticsFTW
11/30/2021 08:56 am
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add windweaver77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These coins are well circulated. I do understand your feelings on the matter.
Learn More...
United States
112066 Posts
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add windweaver77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add windweaver77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So should I keep it or return it for a refund?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2394 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SwamperBob has a deep knowledge of counterfeits. You might try to PM him.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add windweaver77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have no idea how to PM someone on this interface. I cannot even do a direct quote. Everything is icons I am not familiar with. I apologize in advance.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,291Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: