Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1963 Canada Dollar In Mint Plastic Is This Not MS 66 Grade?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 819Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
251 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  2:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add westy00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Ok so I have a few of these . If they came from the mint this way and have been uncirculated should they not be MS60 or higher grade? If so CoinsandCanada shows them as worth $968 however I see some have sold on Ebay for much much less.. Please explain
Pillar of the Community
Canada
729 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's mostly about demand. Silver dollars are collectable enough but there's plenty of stuff to buy out there. I would say that the trends, C&C and Charlton are all pretty inflated in this category. Less so in some others but here the prices need to be regarded as aspirational.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13273 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your referring to MS coins. What you have is a PL coin. Big difference in price.
Valued Member
Canada
251 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westy00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pl?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1224 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All coin sets manufactured by the RCM in cardboard holders (1953 - 1960; although some say they started in 1950) and pliofilm (1961 and later) are Proof-Like (PL) and are worth less than their circulation strike brothers at similar grades.
Edited by johnnysprawl
11/30/2021 2:28 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13273 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PL - Proof Like
You can buy the complete set of PL for less than $35.00
Canada
36 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zhuyuecai to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why PL coin worth less if they were produced in the same year as the circulated one? The cost to get a PL coin should be higher than a circulated one in the production year. And they are the same old as well. If I open the cardboard holder, and put it in my pocket for a few month, does it looks like it is a circulated one?
Valued Member
Canada
181 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fefimo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A PL coin is put into protective packaging right from the start and a lot of times they stay that way. Production coins are rolled up and sent to the banks then dropped in change drawers then pockets then a counter for purchase and so on. Most PL sets are/were bought as collectibles and most business strikes went into circulation just like they still do today. Hope I explained that correctly.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1857 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To add to Fefimo statement Royal Canadian Proof Like sets are made to be perfect coins. Mint State coins are made to spend and circulate as regular currency pocket change. So if you find a MS-65 or higher it is a gem from a circulated mintage that wasn't made to be perfect but to spend making it sought after over a perfect PL coin
Canada
36 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zhuyuecai to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got the difference between PL and MS coins, so it comes to my second question, if I have a PL set of 1963, I open the holder and put the coin in my pocket for a few months, then can you tell the difference between this particular Proof set coin vs. a MS70 circulated one?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1857 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They have different finishes
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4134 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any coin that you put in your pocket for a few months, or even a few weeks would no longer be an MS-70 or even MS 63 coin. PL coins from sets are purchased in pliofilm or sets and spend their life in a drawer, album or folder and remain mint state. As such, all of them are going to 63-65 forever and ever. Everyone that has a PL coin then doesn't have anything better than the next person. Since "worth" is supply and demand, then you have many more "suppliers" and no demand, so the price drops appropriately.
Canada
36 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zhuyuecai to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes, I checked an video and some other posts related to the topic, the PL coins have mirror like surface (better polished planchet).
In this example it is quite easy to see that. But given that it is a silver dollar, which is softer than steel coins, do you think it's possible that some one could fake from the PL coin to a MS coin?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4134 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Ebay is full of people who try just that and many are reported to Ebay and some have their selling privileges withdrawn
Canada
36 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zhuyuecai to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks @okiecoiner for the information. I was always confused why some silver dollars in perfect state sold just for 20 to 40 dollar, but some in worse state sold for very high price. With the knowledge that coins could be made old artificially, I always stay away from old coins.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2544 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do proof sets say proof on them? I have only ever purchased one set, was not stored properly but only paid 36$ or so after shipping for it. 1967 mint set, just says mint set. Black cardboard holder in a plastic case. Is there mint sets non PL?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 819Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: