Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1963 Canada Dollar In Mint Plastic Is This Not MS 66 Grade?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,223Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3683 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Black cardboard holder in a plastic case

That was not an official mint released product, that is after market..Could be any mix of coins in it. Mostly ms type coins. Not pl.. But some people did take their coins out of the pl packaging and put them in the after market holders.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2909 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Took me a bit to find the photo. So this is the set I purchased. Is it a PL set? Is UNC set the same thing?

Valued Member
Canada
59 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zhuyuecai to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the image, I would said they are circulated. Not Proof set. Also the grade is not high. I might be wrong.
Here is one 1967 proof set in aution: https://auctions.canadiancoinsandpa...g200047l.jpg
And this one is a 1967 MS66 25c:https://auctions.canadiancoinsandpa...mg200170.jpg
Compare to yours, they are at best VF. But I am new to the hobby. So I might be wrong.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2909 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is most definitely no way to accurately grade the coins from the set I posted from the photo, the dime is the worst tarnishing but overall wear is not visible from looking at a far away shot through plastic lol. I was more specifically asking if there is both uncirculated sets and PL sets or if they are all PL.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1249 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In 1967 the RCM issued both a PL (proof like) package in pliofilm

And a specimen set (in either a black box with the $20 gold or a red box with a silver medallion)

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2909 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@johnnysprawl, thanks for the info. Those two packages show are not the only ones I have seen though. My fiances mom has 4-5 1967 sets I think 1-2 two were in a case with velvet.

Anyways so this set would not be a set issued by the mint? In other words could be PL or circulated?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1249 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
were in a case with velvet

In my second photo, the coins are in a velvet holder

Quote:
Anyways so this set would not be a set issued by the mint? In other words could be PL or circulated?

You mean your photo of the black cardboard holder?
As silverwolf mentioned, it's an aftermarket item

1967 sets were not issued by the RCM in either cardboard holders nor plastic holders; only pliofilm, a red box, or a black box
Valued Member
Canada
152 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2022  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent explanation by the vets! I'll stick with MS coins that have been graded by a TPG. Ebay is the right environment for scammers, but there are a lot of good, honest sellers too. You just need to do your research on not only the coin, but the person listing it.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,223Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: