Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Caused This Damage? 1965(P) Washington Quarter

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 319Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
59 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  3:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Igor22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Any ideas of what caused this damage? I was thinking some sort of Machine or Surface Grinder.

I've seen this damaged "Extremely Rare Error" Washington muddying up the Numismatic listings of ebay. A couple of weeks ago, I passed along the information that nothing during the minting process would have caused the coin to have such details. And was purposely damaged....but, the seller claims that the word of local Pawn Shop guy is the ultimate determination of the coin being an "Error", despite not being able to name the error....see screenshots of messages.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Extremely-...334237120170

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Bedrock of the Community
United States
42766 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not an error, PMD.How it happened only one person knows for sure.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13208 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely damage. You can't have a rim only on one side without it being damaged.
Will report it to eBay on tomorrow's report. Hopefully it will be gone by the end of the day.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5328 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5328 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64297 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Deliberate damage, clearly.
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Igor22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Will report it to eBay on tomorrow's report. Hopefully it will be gone by the end of the day.

Do you have a way to get better results of reporting fraudulent or obvious misleading ebay listings? I have reported listings using the "Report Listing" link at the bottom of the page, with little or no results.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42766 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tell Bobby.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2585 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Igor22, There are some on CCF who have powers over eBay sellers that are best left to such Wizards. As Gandalf said, "I fear I am beyond your comprehension." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers

I am not one of them, but I know those CCF Wizards exist, and admire their secret powers.
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Igor22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a lifelong collector of coins. At least once a year my Grandparents (before their passing) would give me individual coins or coin sets as a gifts for birthday, Christmas and so on. Many times they had given me "Rare Error Coins" they had bought online that were nothing more than damaged coins....a Road Kill Coin, a dark colored Bicentennial Quarter recovered by someone Metal Detecting and so on. Later finding out that these "Rare Errors" were purchased via eBay for $10 to $20 each from scumbag sellers that know they can take advantage of people like this.

I oftentimes search through the newly posted coin listings of eBay, and within minutes will come across a seller that has a pile of "Rare Error" coins that are very obvious PMD. Politely informing the seller of the mistaken evaluation of an error and asking to remove the listing usually falls on deaf ears, and the "Report" link is often a coin toss (no pun intended).

Just this morning I've come across a seller ( ribr_7409 ) that has 7 Error, Missing Clad Layer, or Improperly Annealed coins....some of which are "Sponsored" to gain more visibility. See the below screenshots of the listings all from the same seller.

Having better access to report such listings could very likely save some of the people that are very trusting of other people's word, such as how my Grandparents we're.

Yes, I understand that everyone needs to do their own research before making a purchase....and I also feel that "Research" should also be done by sellers before making claims of "Error" and such. Many of these sellers may not know any better and have been mistaken, but then will continue keeping the listing active after they have been given information and other examples of the coin being PMD.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?isR...7409&_sop=12

Pillar of the Community
United States
8175 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just proves that anybody anywhere can ask whatever price they want on an open market like eBay, but it doesn't mean they'll get it. This type of seller can ruin numismatic sales for everyone else. Let the buyer beware! That's why we suggest people check SOLD listings for a better indicator as to values.
ša va bien aller

Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 319Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: