Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

We All Know That The 2021 Lesps Set The Mint Put Out Is Less Then Stellar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 622Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5389 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  4:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
We all know that the 2021 LESPS set the Mint put out is less then stellar, So I decided to do something to make it look much better and also to match the previous years sets.
By disassembling the 2019 and 2021 stets, I managed to create a simple fix and get a nice looking 2021 set.

First off I got on eBay and bought a no coin 2019 LESPS set (cost $15.00).
I was goin to at first buy lexan and fabricate a new holder for my new display case but decided to just re-arrange the innards of the 2 sets (2021-/2021).
Here are a few pictures...

A small amount of labeling and a nice matching LESPS set is born
Learn More...
United States
108418 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5389 Posts
Learn More...
United States
108418 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
maybe the mint should hire some of us to be a product advisor for them
Some of us may even do it for free.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7665 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its looking great!

Quote:
Some of us may even do it for free.

How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11424 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great solution and great execution, Dearborn! I love it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5389 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Great solution and great execution, Dearborn! I love it

Thanks Celtic,
I was going to go the route of cutting Lexan plastic to size then drilling out the holes and using a method called 'Frocking' to get it covered in felt, BUT I measured the size of the coin holders very wrong.
(I used a micrometer) to measure them however I looked to the edge of the blade instead on seeing the '0 [zero]' marking on it. so I had measured 2.5 MM too small.

I only noticed that after I ordered special bits to cut the holes to the exact size (which in my case too small)
Thankfully I was able to send them back and get my $50.00 back.
So I took both sets and found that it was far better to just mix and match to get the effect I was looking for.
Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheInfinityPoint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice job. I did something similar for the American Eagle proofs. Basically swapped out the cheap "velvet" holder for a real velvet case from 2020 and before. I still had a lot of them lying around from ASEs I sent in for grading.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5389 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I did something similar for the American Eagle proofs. Basically swapped out the cheap "velvet" holder for a real velvet case from 2020 and before. I still had a lot of them lying around from ASEs I sent in for grading.

Yeah, I did the same.
I just hate the way the mint got so cheap on the packaging but so expensive (to buy) Coins, Medals, and Commems
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pkluck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice job!! On another note my set is still "processing" ? Any one else still haven't received theirs yet?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5389 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
On another note my set is still "processing" ? Any one else still haven't received theirs yet?

You still haven't gotten your LESPS yet? wow! I think it's time to call the mint folks up on the phone.
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pkluck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Contacted mint they have no record of my order even though I have an order number. Oh well saved $235.00
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5389 Posts
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2021  02:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pkluck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, well, my set showed up this weekend and no surprise to me, this late in the game they obviously sent me a set that had been returned. One nice big brown spot on one of the Washington quarters. I guess I will send it back for the next chump to get. Sad.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5389 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2021  07:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One nice big brown spot on one of the Washington quarters. I guess I will send it back for the next chump to get.

If it is just the quarter, why not just try to replace the quarter? If it were one of the ASE's or Jacks coin, I would sent it back..
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2021  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pcerio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ditch the one quarter and show the front and back of the Washington Crossing the Delaware quarter. The best thing I did was flip that set for a nice sum to offset what I spent on reverse proof ASEs.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 622Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: