Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1869 2 Cent Piece Questions

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 399Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3633 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  9:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
OK. I have this 2 cent piece and I had it marked as an 1869/69. Now I have no earthly clue as to why I did that. I can find nothing showing that as a variety.

HOWEVER, as you can see, there is a LOT going on with this coin at the date. Die crack, looks like there is another 1 behind the 1, tails from something on the 8 and 6 and something going on with the tail on the 9.

it has to be a re-punch or something like that right? I'mgonna send in to ANACS with several other nice 2 centers I have. Hopefully they will come back with something.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5420 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You've got RPD (re-punched date) FS-302. Nice one! I wouldn't say it's worth grading as far as value and rarity goes but if you want it graded, then it's your call! The coin also appears to be have been cleaned before too. Never the less, it's a nice and strong RPD. Neat find!

https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin/detail/38280

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Varieties and Colonial Coinage
Pillar of the Community
United States
1106 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I do see repunching on the 1 and 8 in the date, but the other digits, not sure, but look like a die chip.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3633 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You've got RPD (re-punched date) FS-302. Nice one! I wouldn't say it's worth grading as far as value and rarity goes but if you want it graded, then it's your call! The coin also appears to be have been cleaned before too. Never the less, it's a nice and strong RPD. Neat find!

Thank you sir! Its going to be dropped at a show, so it wont cost quite as much as normal. I'd like to have it officially attributed.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20555 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it was mine I'd simply put it in an Album.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
418 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with Just Carl.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5421 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Flynn's 1994 book Getting Your Two Cents Worth has it listed as KF-2-TPD (his code).
The TPD is short for Triple Punched Die.
And he IDs it as a Late Die State.
He also labels it as "Extremely Rare".

You might have a real winner there.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3633 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Flynn's 1994 book Getting Your Two Cents Worth has it listed as KF-2-TPD (his code).
The TPD is short for Triple Punched Die.
And he IDs it as a Late Die State.
He also labels it as "Extremely Rare".

You might have a real winner there.

And this is precisely why I am sending it in. There is far too much going there for it just to be a re punch. Die crack and chips perhaps. My thought was this was just before the die basically exploded. So in it goes for grading.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8605 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  02:28 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a pretty rare coin, I would put the value in this condition at $75-150 the FS-302 LDS with crack through the bottom of the date is not easy to find, I know, I searched for almost twenty years before cherry picking one of my one in late die state. I've found quite a few EDS without the crack. It was originally the 1869 over 8 over-date. Now dis-proven and just a die crack with a re-punched date no over-date. Last one I paid for was from Brian Greer and was a NGC in VG8 I paid $75.00 about 3 or 4 years ago, I think I have 3 or four of these now in LDS all low grade, nothing better than F15 I think. In EDS without the crack I have some into MS64 range. I've seen one slabbed MS65 LDS.

The last one I got is a lower grade VG with some issues:

Here is one posted on CCF that is an EDS:
http://goccf.com/t/369337

"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, C4, & NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
8605 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  02:38 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
smokeriderDon if you forgot here is your thread on this same coin from 2012...

http://goccf.com/t/115275

"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, C4, & NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3633 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I HAD forgotten.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8605 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well it was almost a full decade ago. I find I sometimes go looking for my glasses when they are on top of my head. LOL Getting old isn't that much fun, I really notice it now, when I first wake up, and all my parts snap crackle and pop, it's not my breakfast cereal.

Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 399Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: