Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sold This Set Back In 2013. Regretting It!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 667Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4461 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  01:40 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pillar of the Community
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  01:58 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awww! You could probably get at least double now with the hype around morgan and Peace dollars. Very nice coins.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20545 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not a Silver dollar person so I say smart move.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3712 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
May I ask for a ballpark figure?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2438 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've regretted selling an 1889-CC for many years, but keeping the 1893-CC is a consolation. The other CC dollars I sold didn't bother me at all.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Learn More...
United States
108125 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3996 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These CC dollars are fairly commonplace. They can easily be had at shows, shops and auctions. It's simply a matter of price. It seems to me that our OP's "regret" is largely financial.

The pieces that I've genuinely regretted selling are those that are rarely found in the marketplace.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4461 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup I could replace them but it would cost an arm and a leg in today's Morgan/Peace dollar market. Note I've never heard an 1889-CC regarded as "commonplace" but they are available in the marketplace. Even 1893-S in BU not that hard to find if you have the cash...
Edited by fenton
12/01/2021 7:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3996 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Note I've never heard an 1889-CC regarded as "commonplace"

Hi Fenton .... I just looked at eBay and see that there are 169 listings for 1889-CC Morgans. I'd venture that there are dozens of them on the floor at any major coin show. Your reply, bemoaning replacement cost, bolstered my observation, methinks.

While I can empathize about rising prices, my own regrets are based solely upon truly rare and historic pieces that don't appear daily on eBay or even the overall marketplace. These are pieces of which few collectors ever see, much less own. Many rare pieces, be they coin varieties, errors, tokens, obsolete currency, counterstamps, etc....

My regrets center upon pieces that boast historical significance or were great personal finds that passed through my hands. Take my avatar for example .... Maybe four specimens exist.

Over the years, the decades, it's amazed me how many rarities I've found. One rare date coin was a VF 1873-CC quarter, picked from a dealer's "junk box" for $5 at an ANA show. It was holed and had engraved initials. Seen any of those lately? Making many truly rare finds like this have caused me to regard the 89-CC dollars are commonplace.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4461 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually there is an 1873-CC quarter available on EBAY. VF, details. About $7500 so similar price to an AU 1889-CC Morgan. https://www.ebay.com/itm/133949185368
Pillar of the Community
United States
2438 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As far as cc quarters go ExoGuy, I was stunned to find an 1875-CC in a coin shop flip. Not as rare as your 1873-CC but definitely a keeper at F-VF undamaged.

While I have not found them in the scrap tub, I have picked up rough condition 1858 S and 1859 S half eagles for melt. It's sort of the same thing as the 1873-CC rarity-wise. I used to turn up scarce pre-1860 S quarters regularly too. Unfortunately lots of people are looking for coins like this these days, and they're no longer bargains, when you find them at all.

A coin like fenton's 1889-CC Morgan isn't rare, but for me it's iconic in the way the 1877 Indian and 1909-SVDB are. That's why I wish I still had it.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
12/02/2021 9:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3996 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To this day, I don't regret selling the two '89-CC dollars or even the '73-CC quarter. Flipping coins like those enabled me to acquire a good many uncommonly seen pieces. I suspect that most every collector can recant stories of regret about pieces that passed or almost passed through their hands. My point was that regrets can be founded upon motivations above and beyond financial gain.

BTW thq .... Good catch on that '75-CC quarter!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4461 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2021  07:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another tidbit to add to this topic is that, technically, each and every coin is unique. That 89-CC for example, was a super honest coin with authentic toning and no real marks other than smooth wear. Seems 9 out of 10 coins in holders, including circulated grades, have been dipped at some point and are either white or are unnaturally and oddly toned so while the coins are widely available, if you have the dough, getting one with the look you prefer can be arduous.
Edited by fenton
12/10/2021 07:33 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3996 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2021  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ FENTON .... That's a salient point, methinks. I can far better relate to seller's remorse as concerns the eye-appeal, toning, variety, history, etc. than simply on the basis of what price it fetches at a given time.

On a related note, I recall that the 1950's values of O-mint Morgans dated 1898-1904 or so, were hundreds of dollars, apiece. Following the government release of bags of mint state examples in the early 60's, prices plummeted. I doubt that many who sold their O-mint Morgans, prior to the "marketplace dump," experienced seller's remorse, eh what?
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 667Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: