Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Prices For Maples Higher Than Kitco

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 417Next Topic  

Canada
6 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  1:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Gampy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
Since the price of silver has been staying low I decided to buy some more Maples. I just checked EBay and it seems that the price per coin starts at around $40.00. How can people sell for $40 and more on Ebay when you can buy a Maple from Kitco (or Sprott) for like $37-$38? Am I missing something?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
775 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tripoli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are missing the ebay fees that the seller's are factoring into their asking price.
Valued Member
Russian Federation
147 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grinya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Ebay and PayPal commission may be together 20-25%... It seems to be unreasonable to trade on Ebay...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2858 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
eBay and PayPal fees are not 20-25%. More like 12-13%.
Canada
6 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gampy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still doesn't make sense to me why anyone would bid for a $40 maple coin when you can buy a maple leaf from Sprott for $38. Okay there are Ebay fees, but my thinking is why should I buy your coin off ebay when there's no guarantee of authenticity. Seems like a dump play to me.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
648 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wilsonwu89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Then dont buy off ebay.

Ebay is more great when looking for variety or certain years to collect. Of course you're not gonna buy off eBay if youre stacking because you're paying inflated prices to account for the 12-13% ebay fees.

You can't compare a buying stuff from brick and mortar stores to eBay stores. They're completely different business models. eBay doesn't even own the goods that are sold, they're a technology entity that simply exists to skim the profits off any sales generated.
Edited by wilsonwu89
12/01/2021 9:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6678 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry guys, the question here was misunderstood. The OP is asking: "why would one buy SML on eBay, overpriced, while it possible to get them with small premium at place X and Y?" It basically leads to conversation regarding collectability and what exactly you want to buy...

It is very similar to buying new car from Dealer A, where you sit with the dealer over cup of coffee and build your car as per specs and packages that you like, and submit order to the factory - in this case expect to pay MSRP or near it. Or you are coming to dealer B and choosing something from the lot, and then depends how much dealer wants to clear out the stock - you will get nice discounts.
Edited by Silveroid
12/02/2021 08:53 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
775 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tripoli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, I'll give you some reasons why a person may buy off ebay rather than some less expensive options:

1. They don't have a relationship with Kitco or a reason not to have one.
2. They live in a rural setting with no access to a local bullion dealer
3. They have accumulated a balance of 'ebay bucks' to offset the purchase cost
4. Perhaps the ebay seller ships by mail and not via courier and buyer hopes to avoid any taxes assessed by brokerage company regardless of whether the purchase is tax free bullion.

and I'm sure there's more....
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 417Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: