Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Seems To Be Chinese Cash Coins, Not Sure If Legit. (Id: Modern Feng Shui Tokens/Charms)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 231Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
332 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  4:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jdford to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My wife and I neighbor died and his family let his house go, but I was given his coin collection. I naturally only collect older coins, of the U. S. A.
However, his collection has quite a few different countries, and the rest are legit. I'm just not to sure about the Chinese coins I have. Seems a lot of fake coins out there and I'm curious if these are the same.
So if anyone can, please help me identify if real or fake, as well if real what dynasty?
I did some homework on it the back shows two are the Qing dynasty if real. One I believe is a charm of some sort. The two smaller ones are 1" round and 2.7 grams. The bigger one is close to 1 1/2" round and 7.8 grams.

Learn More...
United States
108132 Posts
Learn More...
Australia
14008 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and welcome.

The ones with the two dragons are charms. They are typically larger than regular cash coins, and are designed to be attached to walls of houses, to bring good fortune to the house.

The other two are mass-produced machine-struck replicas of cash coins. The curiously slanted Manchu script on the back, and the background surfaces covered in little dots intended to imitate a sandy, cast surface, are the giveaway clues here. These items are intended to be tied together into auspicious shapes and bundles, again for "Feng Shui" good luck purposes. They might also be burned, in the traditional Chinese funeral practice of sending money to the loved ones in the afterlife.

Apparently, the tradition has arisen that replica coins are actually better at generating good luck than genuine coins. Genuine old coins might have accumulated bad spirits over the past few centuries, and need to be ritually cleansed before they can be used as charms. Of course, it is largely the people who make and sell the replicas that are perpetuating this belief.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Learn More...
United States
21924 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes @sap nailed it. These are not Chinese cast cash, but rather Feng Shui tokens and charms.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
332 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  06:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jdford to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a bunch! Chinese cash coins are a pain to identify! Lol. Glad I found evidence they're fake, I knew something was off being two were identical metal but supposed to be 200 years apart. I have 0 knowledge of Chinese cash coins, but glad y'all do.

Thanks again.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 231Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: