Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1 Cent 1979 Off Center Strike

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 728Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
171 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  07:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SP67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a question about this off center strike.
It's quite classic, but the folded metal is unusual.

How can we explained that? I guess the coin jammed during the ejection.

In the folded area we can also observed two small notches in that area on the observe.

Thanks for your comments.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
10463 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to have gotten stuck in something after being struck. I found a 1944 Wheat cent that was struck off center nearly as much many years ago roll searching. It has a large gash across the obverse and my theory is that some kid got it stuck in a gumball machine and it was damaged while being forcefully removed by a grocery store employee..
1883-O Nut
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67868 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't help on the technical side, but a nice find anyway!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4300 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sure that SPP will chime in. Regardless how it happened, a neat coin!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
676 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scissel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Offcenter coins were often discovered when batches of coins were run through coin counting machines. The error coin could be slightly larger in diameter and also not quite flat. An out-of-spec coin would jam in a counting machine and would have to be pried out. I have had error coins with dents/folds and screwdriver marks.
Learn More...
Canada
10163 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have handled a number of really nice errors lately, with a huge scratch or gouge on them.

I generally discount those heavily and get rid of them on my eBay store. Eye-appeal is everything when it comes to errors, and counting machine damage can be cringe-worthy.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2271 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darryldarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Eye-appeal is everything when it comes to errors, and counting machine damage can be cringe-worthy.

I couldn't agree more !
Valued Member
Canada
171 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SP67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all of you for your comments.

Now the French guy has some problems with the following expression

Quote:
counting machine damage can be cringe-worthy.

I used different translators for this expression, and there's contradictions with few results.

Thanks to provide your definition !

So to summarize my coin, that counting machine dammage is:

a) good
b) bad
c) neutral

In my point of view the eye appeal is not too bad!

Edited by SP67
12/05/2021 5:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4932 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Simply put, the tool damage takes all the good things about this error, now it"s a bad error, worth maybe a third if not damaged.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 728Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: