Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does Anyone Find It Worthy To Coin Check Boxes Of Coins?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 444Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
63 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  11:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add rkennedy1945 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have ordered my first boxes of coins from my bank which I assume they are getting from the federal reserve. Do you find it an effective way of finding old or rare coins or is it just a waste of time. Do you get all new uncirculated coins or a variety of dates? I have a box of halves hoping for some silver and a box of pennies hoping for rare errors or wheat pennies. Just curious what others are finding who do such purchases. Appreciate all your comments. What denominator do you find most productive?
Edited by rkennedy1945
12/02/2021 2:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6796 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The boxes are likely to come from a commercial coin service provider. There are interesting things to be found, yes, but typically not an abundance.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2417 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Honestly, it's a lot of "hit and miss". But I've seen some success stories with every denomination.

In terms of being "productive", I find boxes of nickels to be far and away the best. War Nickels, the occasional Buffalo, and even once in a great while a V nickel will show up. If you live in right part of the country, you'll also find 2009-dated coins which are pretty much all worth at least 10x face or more unless they're culls. Nickels are also the only denomination you can kind a complete set of in circulation with persistence - I've completed three sets of Jefferson nickels over the past half a dozen years.
CRH Nickeloholic. 1,300,000 nickels searched in five years! Already have found THREE complete Jefferson sets!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1055 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't done it since 2015. But use to get $1000 of halves a month. Would find on average about 2 40% per box. Be sure you know the "NO FG" varieties since they can be worth more than a 90% in good condition. Look through PCGS for the varieties they list under each date / mint mark.

Nickels and dimes I would occassionally find a silver 90%, War Nickel, or a Buffalo nickel
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16534 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Getting boxes of coins from your bank makes for a good pass time of your day or night . But don't expect to quit your daytime job by finding rare coins . We hear of a couple of nice hits here and there with Silver, wheaties , old Jeffs ,and errors . Though not a smiling advent every time .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1245 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are many types of "searchers" when it comes to coin hunting. That would be the first thing you need to find out about yourself. Some just love the hunt, to find something, anything, sometimes and the more you know is out there, the more you will find. Are you looking for yourself and collecting, are you trying to find the white whale, are you trying to fill sets and if so, do you care what grade they are? Lots of questions of yourself and how you go about finding these things.
The white whales are tough, if not nearly impossible, no matter how you go about it, unless you pay for them, already attributed. Some folks find there finds picking from sites like ebay and you can find higher grades by doing this but it's not easy and time consuming, no different from searching bank rolls but you can control the quality by doing this.
I would say I am an oddity, when it comes to searching. I do not look for particular things but everything that I have learned about and that helps pass the time, by finding more things while others that are just looking for errors or maybe just varieties and possibly just silver content. I do not collect, per se but seem to have accumulated a lot of varieties and errors. I do not sell on a regular basis but if there is something I have found, that helps me search more and don't have a problem selling, then I will.
So in summation, bank rolls are a good, cost effective way of searching and for me, personally, a lot of fun but takes time and NUMBERS, the more you search, the more you will find. I do think it's important to figure our why you are searching though and this will help you be more at rest with what you do, how you go about it and what you find.
-makecents-
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bugil46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have found several errors and varieties from bank boxes. Bank boxes can be from mints or coin services. It is best to order bank boxes in advance from the bank. They like that. There is usually no charge.
Another place that has been good is a local car wash and laundry mat. They have an abundance of Quarters.
Usually buckets full.
Have Fun! That's the Key!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4221 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I quit in 2015, in six years I'd found about 1,500 silvers, My first week I found an 1894 Barber half. I also found six Barber dimes, dozens of mercs, over 150 silver Canadians and about 800 silver Roosevelts, about a dozen solid rolls of silver halves. My find rate for dimes was around one per $140, for quarters roughly one per $800. Some cool stuff like D and S 1970 Kennedy, 1900 Victoria dime, proof silvers, chrome and gold-plated dimes, lots of foreigns and lots of cool stuff. What's interesting is that as a roll hunting teen in the late 1970's I didn't find much of anything.

When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 444Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: