Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why Is 1972 5 Cent Regarded As A Low Mintage Coin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 478Next Topic  
Australia
27 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  6:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add OzLeigh to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

I don't really understand what all the fuss is about the Australian 1972 five cent coin. A mintage of 8 million isn't really that low is it?

Sure, they aren't easy to find in circulation anymore, but that's because people have been hoarding them for a long time. More to do with its low face value than low mintage figure. The 1972 50 cent has a lower mintage than the 5 cent, yet nobody seems very interested in them
Pillar of the Community
Australia
718 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't really understand what all the fuss is about the Australian 1972 five cent coin. A mintage of 8 million isn't really that low is it?

I agree,it originally started as Dealers trying to get a premium on an ordinary Coin,in 1973 the Coin feeding frenzy from the 1960's was still going.
After saying that the reason for the 'low mintage' tag was that it was lower than 50 Million+ mintages of the time.
Just my opinion.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3341 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mintage of that coin was low by Australian standards. Like Basil said. Plus because the coin was minted nearly 50 years ago, it must be incredibly hard to get out of change now.

Also 5 cents was worth a lot more in 1972 than now and many people will not be bothered searching piles of 5 cent coins to find one.

There are many much more scarce Australian coins in circulation like the 1988 20 cent coin, the 1985 10 cents, the wavy 1966 20 cents (A real rarity), 2004 Dollar/10c mule and 1993 $2, but the 5 cents seems to be an easy and affordable one compared to these.

You have a much better chance of finding one than say a 2013 Purple Coronation $2 coin.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1026 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

2004 Dollar/10c mule

Now that is a coin I'd like to find.....
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3341 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  01:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just to wet your appetites

My 3 1972 5 cents, 2 VFs and 1 close to EF.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1026 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  03:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PT - Got me thinking, I know the kiwi coinage has changed but back in the day, did Aussie 20c pieces appear in NZ circulation?
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3341 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  04:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes all the time I remember. Until 2006 we got your 5c, 10c and 20c. Not the 50c though as they were different shapes.

Also got your 1c and 2c when we had them, they were phased out in 1989. I would say a good 2 - 5% of our small change was Australian. We always knew as your coins had the effigy to the bottom of the coin, ours had the date at the bottom.

We never saw Fijian or any other foreign 5c, 10c or 20c. We also saw old 6d, 1/- and 2/- in our change but maybe 1 of those per 30 or 50 coins.
Australia
27 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  04:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OzLeigh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We never saw Fijian or any other foreign 5c, 10c or 20c.

In the land of Oz we find NZ, Fijian, Samoan coins - almost all with lower mintage than Aussie 1972 5 cent!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1915 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2021  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah I've never figured it either - it's the lowest mintage 5c but some of the other early 1970s coins weren't overly high mintage either. They are tough to find though.

Quote:
Now that is a coin I'd like to find.....

It exists in New Zealand.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3341 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2021  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I got confused, there is a 2004 10c/$1 mule in NZ and in this case its a 10 cent coin larger than $1.

I got it confused with the Australian 2000 10/$1 mule, in this case the Australian dollar is larger than the 10c and there is a thick rim for the flan. My bad.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1158 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I pretty sure there a person here that posted a blog post about the Australian 5 cent 1972 and why its sort after by collectors. Can't remember exactly where but it's just a theory but I tend to agree with the thought.

Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 478Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: