Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1954-D Jefferson Nickel, This One Sent Me For A Trip (Long Explanation And Theory Is Given)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 335Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  10:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NocturnalJay to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone on CCF,

This Jefferson nickel sent me down the Pareidolia rabbit hole and I jumped on in, head first.

I was looking for RPMs with some older nickels I had saved from a while back. I saw this one with some arcing under the "D" and put it under my microscope to take a closer look. I started to notice that what looked like an "S" mintmark.

I used Microsoft Paint 3D to utilize the editing features. I wanted to get the correct sized mintmarks for 1954. I had the "D" with the coin in question and was able to find a nice "S" in the same stash of nickels. I used Paint 3D to overlay the photos to get the right sizes of mintmarks. To note, the "S" is quite larger than the "D". I then started with a blank photo of just the "D" and started marking random marks where I saw what could be features or even PMD (photo 4). Since I had the correct sizing, I started to see if the "S" would fit anywhere (this is where things really got interesting). I was able to use the same "S" mintmark and it started lining up all over the place with little markings. Most of these line up perfect with the arcs, edges, and ends the "S". Without changing the sizing, all I did is rotate and move the "S" around. I kept on finding more and more places. I thought (at first) it was only going to be 3 or 4 places, but I have lined up over 10 places so far.

This got me thinking. With the San Francisco mint knowing that they were not making coins past 1954, the Denver mint got all the San Francisco dies to reuse if they could. They had to remove the "S" and just replace it with a "D" (this is why the 1955-D/S OMM Jefferson nickel exists). One idea I had was if the San Francisco mint had that 1 die that they would use for practice or training purposes. The Denver mint put their "D" onto it (possibly not knowing how many times the San Francisco mint had reused it) and went ahead and used it. They would have had to use this die in the later stages of the 1954 manufacturing, because the Denver mint would have had to receive the die, repurpose it, and then use it before the start of the 1955 inventory being produced. This is just one possible idea that popped into my head.

If you would like pictures of the markings I used to consider the "S" lined up, please let me know. I can show which markings I used with arrows or something else along that line.

Like I said, dived in head first. With all of this being said, I would like the opinions or ideas from CCF.

Also, just an FYI, these photos are of the actual coin(s) I used and I have not added or changed any markings. I have taken all these photos and I give permission for anyone to use them to reproduce the findings of this post.

Thanks for everyone that takes a look.

Next picture is of the overlay of the first 2 pictures

Next picture is with the misc. markings

Next picture is on the stickers I used in Paint 3D

Next 10 pictures are of examples on the "S" mintmark lining up in different locations

Bedrock of the Community
United States
42851 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  04:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
22042 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  06:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@noc, I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to accomplish with this effort. Are you trying to set forth a theoretical set of conditions that would have resulted in your coin being a previously unknown OMM? Also, as a technical point, did you extract the mint marks from coins at the same magnification? At least from you pics above, it looks like the letter S might be over-sized.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5444 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
6796 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking Pareidolia may be in-play.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3240 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  07:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to agree with the others. Pareidolia is one heck of a thing.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
Progress can only be achieved through trial and error. Failure is the greatest teacher.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64436 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You need a different hobby.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55501 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, he has the right hobby, just need to direct his attention towards the known varieties. When you learn what to look for, then the unknown ones will be left in the dust. Die wear on is in the same direction. If a RPM would be present, it would be raised upwards like a punched in device. In order to be a RPM, it has to have the same shape of the mintmark punch. If there is an enlargement, and no evidence of multiple punching, then it is still not a RPM.

We see enlargement on this one, but no evidence of two or more punching of the punch. So it is not a RPM. Also I don't remember a mintmark on a nickel at an angle, like you were considering. I've seen angled ones on Mercury dimes. But unless it happens, it should be not be something to look for/or considering. Look on the listings to see what to look for first, then search. With all the references there are out there, whey searchers don't look to see what to look for before searching, is beyond me. (But we all did this in the past. Now we know better.) Look at the maps before deciding on which way to find what you are looking for. Why stand in LA and go west to get to NYC? There is a shorter route. Check the map first.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NocturnalJay to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I first want to say that what if we never questioned the unknown, we would never make those interesting discoveries that fascinate us all.

I really do try to only focus on the known varieties and don't actively go searching for the unknowns. I didn't think it was a RPM or even an OMM, but this one caught my eye when I was looking for RPM's. I thought this my be a possible UFO (Wexler's definition) and just be one of those "What the heck if going on here?" coins.

I stated right up front that this was most likely a case of Pareidolia and wanted just some opinions. With that being said,

Quote:
Coinfrog Posted - Today :7H 2M ago
You need a different hobby.

@Coinfrog, I thought this hobby was to discover errors and varieties. I thought this looked interesting and thought I might get some opinions of my theory. To tell someone to go elsewhere is a smack in the face. This was very unappreciated response and I think it would have been better to not reply anything and move on to the next post.

Quote:
Spence Posted - Today :9H 12M ago
@noc, I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to accomplish with this effort. Are you trying to set forth a theoretical set of conditions that would have resulted in your coin being a previously unknown OMM? Also, as a technical point, did you extract the mint marks from coins at the same magnification? At least from you pics above, it looks like the letter S might be over-sized.

@Spence, I included a couple pics of the coins back to back to show the "S" is larger than the "D" under the same magnification. Also a couple angled pictures to show extra material around the mintmark.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
528 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Far out. You are learned so theory can now play. I like it!
Discovering the truth does not have all the answers.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 335Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: